Research Assistant-Soil Carbon Monitoring
SUMMARY: Woodwell Climate Research Center seeks a research assistant to join our soil carbon lab working to support research related to the development of soil spectroscopy for carbon monitoring and other applications. The position will involve field, laboratory and data analysis tasks. The successful candidate will work closely with the lead scientists and postdoctoral fellows but also have responsibility to deliver and report on projects.
· Field sampling and field-based sensor use for soil carbon monitoring.
· Soil sample preparation for routine laboratory analyses.
· Analyze soil samples on an infrared spectrophotometer and elemental analyzer.
· Calibrate/validate predictive models from soil spectral data for numerous soil properties.
· Create spatial maps of soil properties.
· Analyze, synthesize, and present results in collaboration with others.
Qualifications and Experience:
· B.S. degree in Soil Science, Earth System Science, Geography, or a related discipline, Master’s preferred.
· Knowledge and interest in soil carbon science and soil resource monitoring.
· Ability to conduct local and remote field work.
· Demonstrated laboratory experience.
· Demonstrated data analysis skills.
· Ability to implement complex R code and learn new skills as needed.
· A passion for open data science.
· Experience with geospatial analysis of data, preferred.
· Scientific writing for peer-reviewed publication, preferred.
· Demonstrated application of multivariate and machine learning models, preferred.
· Experience with high performance computing on a cluster or in cloud environment, preferred.
The functions of this role are conducted in variety of environments, both indoors and outdoors.
· In the lab, this role may be exposed to harsh substances and allergens
· In the field, this role may be exposed to extreme and prolonged temperatures, both hot and cold, extreme and prolonged weather conditions, extreme and prolonged darkness and brightness, harsh substances, and allergens
Application Deadline: April 23, 2021, or until filled.
Desired Start Date: June 1, 2021
Classification and Compensation: This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. The salary range is This is a one-year fixed-term position with the potential to extend. The salary range is $48-55,000 annually. Woodwell offers a very generous benefits package.
Location: Falmouth, Massachusetts
Application Instructions: To apply, please send your cover letter addressing your experience and qualifications in relation to the responsibilities of this position, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references as a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Please type JSPD21 in the subject line.
Located on a 10-acre campus near the village of Woods Hole, Woodwell Climate Research Center is a private, non-profit research center. Woodwell is a leading source of climate science that drives the urgent action needed to solve climate change. Woodwell has 60+ staff members, and attracts some of today’s top experts on global climate change science.
Woodwell Climate Research Center is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, mental, or physical disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, familial status, veteran status, or genetic information. Woodwell is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for all individuals in employment practices, services, programs, and activities.