Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world’s longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world’s widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking an experienced real estate appraisal professional to lead the Northwest Region’s (NWR) Appraisal Team. Working in accordance with State and Federal laws, this position and supporting staff will estimate just compensation for property rights to be acquired for WSDOT projects and estimate value for surplus properties. As such, this position is vital to the success of transportation projects that are necessary for the safety of the traveling public. If you are looking for a rewarding challenge, I invite you to apply and enjoy the benefits of working in a real estate position that offers flexible, day shift schedules, in a cooperative and team-oriented environment.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Appraisal Supervisor will:
- Manage the NWR Real Estate Services (RES) appraisal program.
- Provide technical valuation advice and recommendations to RES and other agency managers.
- Manage work force studies, funding requests, and budgets.
- Participate in strategic and project planning activities.
- Oversee and delegate scoping estimates, project funding estimates, appraisals, and administrative offer summaries.
- Supervise appraisal consultant contracts.
- Work closely with design engineers, right of way plans office, and other RES staff to offer right of way acquisition process guidance, knowledge, and suggestions.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- Hold a Washington State-Certified General Real Estate Appraiser certification or equivalent from another state.
- Valid, unrestricted Washington State Driver’s License.
- Intermediate skills and proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Bachelor’s degree involving major study in business or public administration, real estate, economics, accounting, or related field.
- 6 (six) years of experience in appraisal.
- 4 (four) years of experience in eminent domain appraisal.
- 1 (one) year of experience as a Property Acquisition Specialist 5 or equivalent.
- 2 (two) years as a Property Acquisition Specialist 4 or equivalent.
In addition, knowledge and understanding of:
- Uniform Relocation Assistance and Real Property Acquisition Policies Act of 1970, including amendments.
- Uniform Appraisal Standards for Federal Land Acquisitions.
- Right of Way Engineering.
- Supervisory techniques and practices.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- 50 hours of education in right of way acquisition, appraisal, relocation, or property management, including at least 16 hours in eminent domain appraisal classes.
- SR/WA Professional Credential from International Right of Way Association.
- Hold an MAI designation with the Appraisal Institute.
- The salary listed for this position includes a legislative approved 5% premium for workers in King County.
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle. As such, there are a number of flexible schedule options available, including occasional telework for eligible positions.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Tuition Assistance – Permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the “APPLY” button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Cori Shull, at email@example.com. Please be sure to reference 21DOT-NWR-10958 in the subject line.