DSHS Occupational Therapist 1
Here’s your chance to put your Occupational Therapist education to work! Join the Special Commitment Center (SCC) and help residents restore their abilities to perform basic life skills. You’ll be part of an extended care team aiding long-term clients, which allows you the opportunity to grow your career. You’ll also assess clients, create plans, and work towards helping clients meet certain goals. This is an opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives!
The Special Commitment Center is a highly structured and secure treatment setting located on McNeil Island. Water transportation is provided to employees from Steilacoom to McNeil Island. See why others have chosen a career at the Special Commitment Center in this video: Transforming Lives
Click here to see why Occupational Therapists, like you, enjoy a career with DSHS.
Some of what you’ll do:
- Evaluate and assess resident’s motor, sensory, and ADL skills
- Develop occupational therapy plans and treatment goals for individuals and groups
- Facilitate group occupational therapy service on a daily basis
- Provide occupational therapy treatment to clients with complex problems in the areas of activities of daily living, gross and fine motor, sensory-motor, cognitive and psychosocial skills
Who should apply?
Professionals who have graduated from an accredited Occupational Therapy program, have successfully completed the National Board Certification of Occupational Therapy (NBCOT) exam, and have a current Washington State license to practice as an Occupational Therapist.
Our ideal applicant will also have the following:
- Experience observing and analyzing behavioral patterns and function
- In-depth working knowledge of group behavior and dynamics
- Working knowledge of local, State, and Federal laws related to the facility
- Knowledge of mental illness and recovery principles
- Experience working with difficult or angry clients in a therapeutic, non-threatening manner
- Excellent communications skills, both verbally and in writing with external and internal stakeholders, including clients and the public
Questions about this opportunity? Please contact the recruiter at Jourdan.Kovacs@dshs.wa.gov or 360-725-5864 and reference #03046