VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG
Human Resources Department
101 Schaumburg Court
Schaumburg, IL 60193
The Village of Schaumburg is a thriving community of 75,936 residents located 12 miles west of O’Hare International Airport and approximately 26 miles northwest of the City of Chicago. The community is the base of the second largest concentration of retail, office and commercial activity in the state of Illinois. Of special distinction, the village was recently named one of the “Top Ten Best Places to Live” by Money Magazine, is ranked No. 5 overall in WalletHub’s “Best Illinois Cities for Jobs” and, for the fifth year in a row, received the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award from the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) for meeting the highest principles of governmental budgeting.
The village employs approximately 600 employees in a variety of departments within the organization, such as police, fire, public works, engineering, finance, human resources, cultural services, community development, information technology, and transportation. Our employees work to serve the residents and strive to make Schaumburg the best community it can be.
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF:
Senior Civil Engineer (Engineering & Public Works) – Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Interviews will be conducted as applications are received. This position has an online application deadline of 03/14/2021.
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $88,223.00 – $108,080.00 annually dependent on qualifications. The salary range for this position is $88,223.00 – $127,937.00.
Please attach as part of your application all necessary documents verifying that you meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
This position manages the implementation of a variety of capital projects, recommends hiring and manages consultants on a variety of professional consulting agreements; supervises the work of engineering division personnel with the division; performs professional engineering tasks.
We are looking to add a team member capable of managing and prioritizing multiple projects with thoroughness and accuracy. To succeed in this role, the candidate must effectively communicate to all kinds of people inside and outside the organization and have the ability to shift gears comfortably.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering.
- A minimum of five years of experience in the field of civil engineering, such as that gained with a Village or City Engineering Department, a contractor or consultant specializing in engineering design for public works improvement and land development.
- A minimum of one year of supervisory experience coordinating a range of activities undertaken by others that involve directing, monitoring, and evaluating performance of staff.
- Licensed Professional Engineer with the State of Illinois.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
- Proficiency with current computer software systems, including email, calendar programs, job specific software, and customer service systems preferred or within the first six months of employment.
Considerable knowledge of civil engineering principles. Working knowledge of contract requirements. Working knowledge of construction methods, materials and techniques. Considerable ability to design and implement public improvement projects. Ability to master appropriate codes and ordinances in a short period of time. Ability to administer the activities of the division and to supervise the work of employees in the division. Ability to teach and encourage new ideas
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- High levels of noise for an extended period.
- Extremes of temperature for prolonged periods or abrupt changes in temperature.
- Exposure to fumes or disagreeable odors.
- Exposure to inclement weather conditions.
- Necessity to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Prolonged periods of concentration such as proof reading, figure work, drawing, reading blue prints, etc.
The Village of Schaumburg has a competitive benefit package which includes: flexible benefit Section 125 plan including health, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts, a retirement plan through the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund, paid holidays, paid vacation, sick leave, tuition reimbursement, and more.
Candidate screening process may consist of an application review, skills testing, employability assessment, interviews, reference checks, and other job-related testing or verifications. Chosen candidates will be subject to a background and criminal history investigation, and qualifying pre-employment medical examination and drug screen.
THE VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER