At the nonprofit Urban Institute, we believe in the power of evidence to improve lives and strengthen communities. Our employees are empowered to open minds, shape decisions and offer solutions. We encourage intellectual honesty, innovation, diversity, and mutual respect, and our analysis elevates the debate, wherever it takes place.
Urban’s greatest asset is our people. We strive to attract and cultivate a vibrant, creative, and diverse community. Our employees drive Urban’s mission through entrepreneurship, innovation, leadership, effective communication, results-orientation, and relationship cultivation. Our success depends on engaging individuals who possess and value these attributes.
The office of Technology and Data Science (Tech) is looking for a talented full-stack Lead Drupal Developer to join our team. Tech is a team of outstanding technology professionals who provide Urban with solutions that employ state of the art technologies as well as project/product management practices including Lean, Agile and Design Thinking.
How you’ll contribute:
Reporting to the Director of Research and Web Technology team, with a dotted line to the Director of Digital Communications, you will work across the Tech and the digital communication team and lead the development and expansion of new and existing Drupal websites and web applications for Urban Institute programs and partners, including Urban’s flagship websites. You will supervise, mentor, and grow the skillset of a small in-house web development team and work with a blended team of internal staff and external vendors, including UX and web designers, content strategists, and other web and Drupal developers, to conceive, build and theme websites and applications. You will be expected to work with the team from discovery to launch to ensure the collective vision is realized through the Drupal build. To succeed in this role, relationship management, positivity, team spirit, working comfortably within agile development methodologies and fast-paced development cycles, and ability to patiently work with non-technical staff and stakeholders are a must . As an ideal candidate, you would have worked on and led development teams to plan, build, and maintain sophisticated websites using Drupal development and theming.
- Working with a blended team of internal and external strategists, designers, and developers, plan and oversee the building of new Drupal websites for Urban institute partner projects
- Work with internal stakeholders and external designers and developers to redesign enterprise websites for Urban Institute and partners
- Redesign existing sites and migrate them from Drupal 7 to Drupal 8 (and eventually 9).
- Content migration and refactoring content as necessary
- Work with internal strategists, stakeholders, and designers to implement improvements and new functionality to existing websites
- Manage and mentor in-house web developers
- Contribute directly to the development and theming of Drupal websites.
- Plan appropriate platform-specific data types, data fields, displays and queries, based on IA and in collaboration with UX
- Design, develop, and test Drupal modules
- Create custom front-end systems, collaborating with UX and design teams from the start of the discovery process through site launch
- Communicate complex web development concepts to non-technical audiences
- Design or improve operations support systems (auditing, testing, monitoring, reporting, etc.)
- Perform code reviews and encourage application of coding standards
- Design systems, process, standards, and workflows
- Assist stakeholders with resolving web-related technical issues
What you’ll bring:
The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related field or equivalent technical training/certification and experience
- Supervisory experience or management of a team with junior staff
- 5+ years proven experience with Drupal and PHP
- 2+ years experience with Drupal 8
- Experience with Drupal technologies such as Twig, Drush, Symfony, Composer , and custom Drupal modules. This includes experience with the Drupal APIs, Drupal theming, and a thorough understanding of Drupal best practices and coding standards
- Experience with MySQL, REST APIs, JSON, AJAX and integrating with third party APIs
- Ability to architect enterprise Drupal solutions including data, display, and information architecture
- Experience designing and developing responsive design websites and building user interfaces for websites and/or web applications. This includes an understanding of modern front-end tools such as Compass, SCSS, and compiled CSS. Specific experience with Foundation or Bootstrap frameworks is a plus
- Ability to convert comprehensive layout and wireframes into working HTML pages
- Thorough understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle (e.g. Requirements, Design, Development, Testing, and Workflow)
- Ability to configure and manage your local development environment
- Demonstrable experience with Git and GitHub or Bitbucket (include username)
- Positive involvement in open-source and Drupal community (include username)
- Clear communication skills and an openness to ideas of others
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to draft detailed technical specification documentation
- Eager to learn and accept new challenges, working both independently and as a member of a team
- Experience working with other programming languages (Java, Python, etc.), WordPress, mobile application development, JIRA, Pantheon/AWS hosting environment, DKAN, Solr, Pattern Lab, Storybook, React, Open Atrium and similar tools is a plus
What you’ll experience:
Working in the Nation’s Capital, the epicenter of public policy among a network of policy experts, you can expect to have an impact on policy areas you care about and work with great colleagues who are smart, mission-driven, and collaborative. You will blend academic rigor with on-the-ground collaboration, be encouraged and supported to fulfill your potential through meaningful work that matters, and enjoy a welcoming workplace free from harassment, discrimination, and intolerance.
Also, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes: medical, dental, disability, and life insurance coverage, competitive paid time off allowance, and eligibility to participate in a generous retirement savings plan and reimbursable commuting expense program.
The Urban Institute strives to be a vibrant, creative community of skilled and committed people who bring to their work a whole range of different experiences. Accordingly, the Urban Institute is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected status under applicable law.
The Urban Institute is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer — Minorities/Women/Disabilities/Veterans.
To learn more about the Urban Institute and its work, please visit www.urban.org.