Do you have a passion for providing top-notch direct patient care and enhancing the patient’s experience? Are you passionate about delivering the best care possible and want to make a difference in the lives of your patients? If you’re ready to take on new challenges, explore this opportunity with us today! UPMC Presbyterian is hiring a Full-Time Staff Nurse to help support the Presbyterian 10N GI Surgery Unit.
10 North is a 25 bed all private room Surgical Oncology unit that focuses on Gastrointestinal and Liver Surgery. The patient population consists of colon, gastric, pancreatic cancer and gastrointestinal disorders that require surgery. The liver population on the unit consists of liver resections, chemotherapy and management of common bile duct injuries. When needed we work closely with Palliative Care and Hospice to provide our patients and families comprehensive end of life care. 10 North provides state of the art oncology care which offers an opportunity to develop professional experience in all areas of surgical care.
Graduate and experienced nurses will be considered. Job title and salary will be based upon qualifications and career ladder requirements.
The Senior Professional Staff Nurse is a Registered Nurse and a member of the care delivery team. The Senior Professional Staff Nurse is responsible to set the standards for the level and quality of care. The Senior Professional Staff Nurse has responsibility, authority and accountability for the provision of nursing care. The Senior Professional Staff Nurse manages and provides patient care activities for a group of patients and their families through the application of independent judgment, communication and collaboration with all team members. The role of the Senior Professional Staff Nurse encompasses leadership, partnership, collaboration and supervision. The Senior Professional Staff Nurse establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with physicians, other health care providers, patients and their families, to achieve desired patient outcomes throughout the continuum of care. The Senior Professional Staff Nurse demonstrates a commitment to the community and to the nursing profession.
- Applies the nursing process within the framework of Relationship Based Care to create a healing environment.
- Formulates daily goals and a plan of care for patients that involves the patient as partner and considers the individual needs of the patient in a holistic manner.
- Practices solid communication skills, and is able to articulate and translate the patient’s condition to other care providers and to negotiate and make recommendations for changes in patient care and unit practices.
- Patient documentation is comprehensive and promotes communication between caregivers. Demonstrates critical thinking in the identification of clinical, social, safety, psychological and spiritual issues for the patient care within an episode of care.
- Incorporates national professional organization as well as business unit and health system’s goals to improve patient safety, quality and satisfaction of the patient experience in daily work.
- Creates a caring and compassionate patient focused experience by building healing relationships with patients, families and colleagues.
- Identifies opportunities for clinical quality as well as workplace improvement.
- Applies evidence based practice as a regular aspect of professional practice. Serves on or leads teams that launch innovations in patient care or support a healthy workforce.
- Demonstrates a passion for developing others, enthusiastically and expertly precepts students, graduate nurses and new hires. Analyzes clinical and behavioral situations, identifying learning opportunities to improve patient care practices.
- Supports continuous learning in the clinical area by sharing research, materials from professional organizations, presenting on the unit, supporting journal clubs, etc.
- Serves as a role model of professional nursing practice by serving as a recognized unit leader in one or more of the following areas: clinical expertise, teacher, specialized resource nurse, and/or evidence based practice.
- Consistently gives appropriate feedback to all members of the health care team and participates in the nursing peer review process.
- The individual must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care and/or interact appropriately to the ages of the patients served by his/her assigned unit as specified below.
- They must also demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient’s status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient’s requirements relative to his/her age-specific needs and to provide the care needs as described in the department policy and procedures.
- Minimum 2 years experience.
- BSN preferred.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive, caring relationships with executives, managers, physicians, non-physician providers, ancillary and support staff, other departments, and patients/families.
- Ability to work productively and effectively within a complex environment, handle multiple/changing priorities and specialized equipment. Exemplary clinical judgment with critical thinking, analytical and problem solving abilities required as related to various aspects of patient care. Critical thinking skills necessary to exercise and to lead others in application of the nursing process.
- Mobility and visual manual dexterity. Physical stamina for frequent walking, standing, lifting and positioning of patients.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
- Current Pennsylvania licensure as a Registered Professional Nurse. UPMC approved nursing certification preferred.
- Annual completion of 2 professional contributions selected from department, hospital or system goals, and approved by your Unit Director OR certification and 1 professional contribution selected from department, hospital or system goals, and approved by your Unit Director as set forth through UPMC’s My Nursing Career Ladder.
- Certification not required if Master’s in nursing or DNP is held.
- CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
- Act 34
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran