Position provides materials testing services under the direction of a Team Leader. Duties include site visits, site reconnaissance, checking foundations, soil, concrete, asphalt sample pick-ups, performing density tests, molding concrete test cylinders, performing concrete and asphalt coring, concrete quality control, report writing, monitoring grading operations, examination of reading mix batch plants, Windsor Probe testing; asphalt batch plant inspections, monitor asphalt placement and perform asphalt in-place density tests; visual weld inspections; bolt torque tests and may train other personnel. Any other duties as required. This position will require you to work constructions hours which will include overtime, working in the middle of the night, some holidays, some Saturdays and you may have to travel out of town.
• Must be able to pour concrete into cylinders and transport to vehicle and then to laboratory. These cylinders can weigh up to approximately 30 pounds each.
• Must be able to manually hand auger in the soil to obtain a soil sample.
• Must be able to carry various kinds of equipment that weighs up to 50 lbs. from vehicle to and from the job sites.
The Staff Engineer/Geologist Level I cannot advance to Level II without a specific amount of experience working as Level I and obtaining certification in various areas of Materials Testing Services, specifically:
Individual must have a minimum of three (3) years of experience in performing all duties of a Staff Engineer/Geologist Level I, above, in a successful manner. Additional requirements for advancement are as follows:
• Performs any other duties not specifically stated herein, but may be logically inherent to this position.
• The Individual must learn and demonstrate ability evaluate, select and applies standard techniques, using judgment in making minor adaptation and modifications.
• Candidate must show competence in administrative and technical practices. To advance, must demonstrate on-site Client satisfaction.
• Learn and supervise tasks or projects of limited duration, cost and technical complexity under the general direction of Team Leader.
• Must demonstrate ability to interpret data, perform analyses, draws conclusions, develop recommendations and prepare completed reports for small routine projects.
• Must demonstrate the ability to supervise the work and train other personnel for small and medium size projects.
Individuals must have obtained the following certifications before advancement:
• 8 hour Nuclear Health and Safety Training
• ACI Field Concrete Testing Technician, Grade 1
• NPDES Level IB Inspector
• NICET Certification if requested by Department Manager
The Staff Level I position requires a minimum of a Bachelor of Science degree in one of the following fields of science: Geology, Construction Management, Environmental Science, other similar science degree or equivalent on-the-job experience. This is an entry-level position and no experience is required.