Our global construction group is comprised of Orascom Construction subsidiaries, The Weitz Company, Contrack Watts Inc., and Watts Constructors. Collectively, we specialize in Commercial, Federal, and Industrial construction projects with a best-in-class Supply Chain segment. We have forged our reputation by constantly seeking new construction innovations and technology that provide our clients and employees with predictable, reliable, and collaborative services. Our commitment to delivering a top quality product has resulted in long-standing customer relationships and recognition by industry rankings as one of the top contractors in the United States.
We view employees as our most valuable asset, and the key to our success. That’s why we provide team members a career (not just a job), supported by training and development opportunities, and a positive, collaborative work environment. We offer the resources of a large company, while preserving our small company feel. Employees are encouraged to work hard, have fun and build strong relationships along the way! Community involvement, diversity and inclusion, and employee empowerment are central to our Company’s culture.
What We Offer:
- Competitive Pay and Benefits
- Strong Company and Safety Culture
- Rewarding Bonus Program
- Generous Paid Time Off Provisions
- 401K Retirement Savings Plan With Company Match
- Training and Educational Assistance Opportunities
The Weitz Company is seeking an Accountant I to be located out of our Cedar Rapids, IA office.
The Accountant I is responsible for accounting, relating to accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and equipment usage. The Accountant I reports to the Accounting Manager, and may have line responsibilities to the project team.
What You’ll Do:
- Report hours for certain projects to the payroll department for processing
- Balance payroll hours to customer billings and if needed make adjustments to coding
- Acts as liaison between corporate and branch accounts payable departments
- Work with the project team to resolve any discrepancies between invoice and commitments
- Set up, monitor, and close out all work orders and cost packages associated with assigned projects. Assist project team with cost information and reporting as needed
- Respond to owner audits and perform subcontractor audits as directed
- Research and collect past due receivables
- Maintain accurate and complete contract files for each construction project
- Prepare billings to clients and answer all vendor inquiries, and assist in answering incoming calls as needed
- Identify and report to the project team discrepancies involving payables and receivables
- Prepare journal entries as needed
- Bill equipment, consumables, and hours as needed to projects
- Verify all invoice extensions and sales tax information prior to processing payment
- Assist in monthly closing
- Other duties and projects as assigned
What We’re Looking For:
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each previously stated duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and ability necessary to succeed in this role.
- Education: Requires a high school diploma.
- Experience: A minimum of five years commensurate experience or three years of construction accounting related experience.
- Skills: A qualified candidate will have the ability to establish priorities, the forethought to know when to seek assistance, independent judgment, a flexible work style, and good analytical and problem solving skills. The ability to effectively communicate and work with a variety of different personalities are necessary skills for a substantial amount of contact with co-workers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients. Individual operates with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail. Discretion is often necessary in working with sensitive and confidential information.
- Technology: Candidate should be proficient in 10-key and personal computer, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook), and have ability to learn specific accounting software (Tungsten, JDE, etc.). Advanced Excel skills are a must. Training will be provided on company standards.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position at this time.
The Company does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or agencies. Any resume submitted to any employee of the Company without a prior written search agreement will be considered unsolicited and the property of The Company. Please, no phone calls or emails.
The Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment (minorities, females, and veterans, individuals with disabilities, sexual orientation, and gender identity). The Company is a drug and alcohol free workplace and background checks are required if applicable.