Job Product: Student understanding of German that furthers the development of character and intellect.
General Purpose: The German teacher is responsible for developing students’ academic excellence and virtue by creating a positive culture of inquiry and learning and providing students with challenging and meaningful learning activities and experiences.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Subject matter knowledge
- Spoken and written command of a standard version of German (the version used by a formally educated speaker of the language)
- Knowledge of culturally and historically significant literary and non-literary texts and authors associated with Germany; literary traditions, periods, and genres
- Characteristics of reading and writing pedagogy in German
- Age appropriate songs, and games in German
- Similarities and differences between German and English
- Theories of, and differences between, first and second language acquisition
- Knowledge of the other arts (historical traditions, genres, and major artists) associated with Germany
- Knowledge of contemporary political, social, and artistic features of Germany
- Knowledge of the political, social and intellectual history of Germany
Plans curriculum and instruction
Delivers effective instruction
Manages classroom climate and operation
Meets professional responsibilities
Other Duties and Responsibilities: As needed or assigned
Bachelor degree, preferably in German, with at least 24 semester hours in content area
Prior teaching experience preferred, but is not required
$35,000 per year, based on ESSA qualifications; eligible for merit pay up to $2,000.
•Long-term disability insurance
•Paid time off