Medical Lab Scientist – Multiple Depts and ShiftsPosition
Summary / Career Interest:
The Medical Lab Scientist provides comprehensive laboratory testing for patients. The position consists of ensuring patients’ laboratory results are accurate, timely and with quality. Position Description:
- Analyzes patient, control and proficiency testing specimens and records results in a timely manner according to laboratory policy.
- Calibrates, maintains, operates and troubleshoots instrumentation issues and completes appropriate documentation.
- Completes continuing education and submits appropriate documentation where applicable.
- Follows regulatory, accreditation, safety and hospital standards, policies and procedures.
- Instructs, orients and mentors students, employees, residents, patients and other health care providers as applicable.
- Maintains an adequate inventory of all supplies. Accurately prepares, labels and stores reagents, standards, controls and specimens for analysis.
- Participates in quality assurance and quality improvement activities.
- Performs phlebotomy and sample collection as applicable.
- Reviews and correlates results of laboratory tests to each other and with the patient’s condition, recognizing abnormal results and critical/alert values. Verifies accuracy of results.
- The employee may be required to float to other locations throughout the organization.
*Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
*Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Skills and duties may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- ASCP, NCA or eligible (Must be completed within 6 months of hire)
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Biological, Physical, Chemical or Clinical Laboratory Science/Medical Technology from an accredited institution
- Graduate of a NCCLS approved training program