THE NATURE CONSERVANCY
SEASONAL TRAIL ASSESSMENT TECHNICIAN
Have you ever asked yourself, “How can I help?” or “How can I make a difference?”, but you don’t know where to go or have the time to do it? Welcome to The Nature Conservancy. You have found the solution and now you can pointedly make a difference every day!
By joining our New York team, you will become part of a group that is a force to be reckoned with; a force for nature, a force for people, and a force for our planet. We are making a difference every day through our boots on the ground conservation work, voices in public policy advocacy, and teaching minds in local cities and communities. Our science community consists of a group of a women and men who are leading the industry on multiple fronts and who expertly bring strategy and action together.
To help advance our work in New York, we are seeking a motivated self-starter with a strong interest in working on preserves to collect data. This position is an opportunity for the successful candidate to gain substantive experience and exposure to many aspects – conservation science, land stewardship and protection, and threat abatement – of The Nature Conservancy’s work across New York State.
The Seasonal Trail Assessment Technician will assist the Stewardship and Equitable Access Teams with on-the-ground implementation of a trail and infrastructure assessment. The Technician will travel to 75 preserves owned by the Conservancy in NY to collect information. They will be responsible for data management including collecting and editing and uploading data appropriately and accurately. The technician will receive trainings on the assessment tool and associated technology.
· This is a short-term, seasonal, full time summer position: Anticipated duration of May 10, to October 1, 2021.
· The preferred work location is Albany, NY, but is negotiable within New York State.
· The target salary for this position is $17.85 per hour.
The ideal candidate will have a background and track record that includes:
· High school diploma or GED and 1 year’s training in science-related field or related experience in trail maintenance. 1 – 2 seasons experience in trail maintenance or related field is preferred.
· Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
· PC and/or mobile device familiarity, including database knowledge or understanding.
· Some experience working with or knowledge of trails and associated infrastructure.
· Ability to follow instructions from colleagues/coworkers/team members.
· Must be able to obtain related licenses or certifications as required. (e.g. First Aid, CPR).
· Valid drivers’ license.
If you are interested in doing work you can believe in and want to work in a collaborative environment, please click the Apply button to be taken to our website and search for job ID #49366 in the keyword search. Applications must be made online. Submit your application by 11:59 PM EST on March 3, 2021 to be considered. The preferred work location for this position is Albany, NY, although this is negotiable within New York State.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of diverse people of all genders, backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, gender identities, military or veteran status or other status protected by law.