MMJ/REPORTER REQ JR024497
WMAR, the E.W. Scripps owned ABC affiliate in Baltimore, Maryland is looking for an experienced & aggressive Reporter/MMJ to join our team.
We seek a
watchdog who knows how to request key documents and dig through the fine
details to find the facts. You must be a great storyteller and know how to
cultivate strong sources to enterprise fresh lead stories.
We are a
shop that understands the fast pace nature of the business but understands that
good story telling is what makes us the dominant station in town.
· Receives assignment or evaluates news leads and news tips to develop story ideas.
· Gathers and verifies factual information regarding stories through interview, observation, and research.
· Organizes material, determines slant or emphasis, and writes story according to prescribed editorial style and format standards.
· Shoots video and still photos to illustrate stories.
· Edits, or assists in editing, videos for all multimedia platforms.
· Appears on television program when conducting taped interview or narration
· Gives live reports from site of event or mobile broadcast unit.
· Work cooperatively with photographer assigned to story, if one is assigned.
· Assist news producer in preparing newscast.
· Assist online staff in preparing for multi media stories.
· Report, write, capture quality visual content, edit and produce stories for multiple platforms on deadline, such as Internet and digital channels.
· Bachelors degree in broadcast journalism or related degree or equivalent years of experience.
· Minimum of 3-years of experience required, 4-plus years of experience preferred.
· Computer literacy required, including newsroom computer systems.
· Videography and non-linear editing experience preferred.
· Knowledge of broadcast quality camera equipment.
· Edit video on Final Cut Pro editing systems, or similar equipment.
· Strong broadcast and AP style writing skills.
· Proficient at posting content to various websites.
· Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment.
· Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
· Valid driver’s license and good driving record required. In addition, proof of insurance and liability coverage may be required.
(NASDAQ: SSP) is one of the nation’s leading media companies, focused on
creating a better-informed world through a portfolio of news, information and
entertainment brands. Scripps will become the nation’s largest television
broadcaster, reaching 73% of U.S. television households through 108 stations in
76 markets, pending regulatory approval of its acquisition of ION Media.
Committed to serving local audiences through objective journalism, Scripps
operates 60 local TV stations in 42 markets. It is creating a national TV
networks business that will include ION Media’s entertainment programming,
Newsy’s straightforward headline and documentary news content and the five
popular Katz broadcast networks including Bounce and Court TV. Scripps runs an
award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the
longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps
has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find
their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its
affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on
race, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender, color, religion,
age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status,
citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or
on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state
or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for
qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in
an undue hardship for the company.