Everyone wants to work with people they respect. Even better if you can work with a company you respect. We have both at The David J. Joseph Company, and a 135+ year track record on operating an ethical business with a positive work culture. It may sound cliché, but it’s true. We’re a big, global company that still feels small.
Working at the David J. Joseph Company is unique. We offer employment in diverse settings such as traditional corporate headquarters, dynamic sales locations, and scrap recycling facilities. This workplace diversity gives our employees the variety they crave and the exposure to a global business. A career at The David J. Joseph Company is ideal for self-starters seeking to make an impact on our company and their careers.
The David J. Joseph Company (DJJ), founded in 1885, is a world leader in scrap metal recycling & trading. With over 80+ locations, the Joseph Company is headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Nucor Corporation (NUE) a Fortune 200 Company.
- Manage onboarding, employee status changes, increases, etc. within the payroll and time keeping software.
- Oversee timekeeping entries and approvals for hourly employees in all locations, ensuring that all necessary approvals are obtained prior to processing payroll.
- Process weekly payroll cycles for all employees for multiple entities and multiple states, consistent with federal and state wage and hour laws and established internal procedures.
- Perform advanced level transactional payroll and benefit accounting tasks including non-routine and complex payroll, benefit, and accounting issues.
- Reconcile payroll prior to transmission and validate confirmed reports.
- Maintain and update employee files in a confidential manner.
- Design COGNOS reports as needed for audits and other projects.
- Process corrections, manual checks, relocation adjustments, personal mileage adjustments, etc.
- Oversee tax reporting process through the payroll system and process corrections as needed in conjunction with Ultimate Payment Services.
- Review and entry of Child Support, Levies, Wage Garnishments, etc. presented from any state.
- Manage the review and distribution of annual employee documents, including W-2’s.
- Create and maintain payroll related procedural documentation.
- Maintain deep knowledge of applicable local, state, and federal regulations.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business or a related field is preferred
- Three to five years of entire payroll processing experience is required
- Previous experience with Ultimate (UKG), COGNOS Business Intelligence and Kronos Time and Attendance (UKG) is preferred
- Strong /Advanced Microsoft Office skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Exceptional attention to detail and strong organizational skills, with ability to prioritize multiple projects with tight deadlines
- Highly analytical, with strong critical thinking and problem-solving abilities
- High degree of trustworthiness and discretion when dealing with sensitive information
- Exceptional customer service and communication skills, both written and oral
- Working knowledge of payroll best practices, including expert knowledge of multi-state payroll operations and federal, state and local payroll laws
- Commitment to our core values of safety, respect, excellence, and integrity
- Ability to both collaborate in a team setting and to work individually
- Initially, willingness to learn and follow established internal payroll procedures
- Demonstrates dependability including a good attendance record
We offer a competitive compensation and benefit package including paid training, bonus program, medical, dental, vision, life and disability coverage, vacation, paid holidays, a 401(k) plan with match, tuition reimbursement and other great benefits.
The David J Joseph Company (DJJ) is a drug-free workplace and conducts pre-employment testing as a condition of employment.
DJJ is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy, lactation/breastfeeding, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, marital status, familial status, disability, genetic information, protected veteran status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations. DJJ hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please click here.
DJJ reasonably accommodates qualified individuals with disabilities to enable them to receive equal employment opportunity and/or perform the essential functions of the job, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship to the Company. This applies to all applicants and teammates.
DJJ also provides a work environment in which each teammate is able to be productive and work to the best of his or her ability. We do not condone or tolerate an atmosphere of intimidation or harassment. We expect and require the cooperation of all teammates in maintaining an atmosphere free from discrimination and harassment with mutual respect by and for all teammates and applicants.