- Reports to: Vice President, Government Affairs
- Staff reporting to this position: None
- Department: Government Affairs
- Position classification: Nonexempt, full time
American Progress is seeking candidates for the position of Special Assistant for Government Affairs. This position focuses on facilitating the day-to-day operations of the Government Affairs team; coordinating meetings and events; aiding in research support as needed; and helping grow and maintain American Progress’ relationships with federal, state, and local elected officials, their staff, and key partners. The Government Affairs team works to promote American Progress’ policies and ideas among members of Congress and other elected officials; state, local, and regional organizations; and advocacy organizations and think tanks. The right candidate will manage important communications among and on behalf of senior staff and be able to multitask while setting priorities in a fast-paced, progressive environment.
- Work under the direction of the Vice President for Government Affairs to help initiate, manage, and coordinate outreach to Congress, state and local agencies, and elected officials.
- Assist the Government Affairs team in all aspects of its work, including coordinating projects, scheduling, answering phones, greeting guests, maintaining the address book, drafting work products, and arranging travel.
- Coordinate meetings, events, and agendas.
- Work with the Government Affairs team to manage and prioritize daily tasks and long-term responsibilities.
- Produce briefing materials, internal tracking sheets, and other materials necessary to carry out job functions; help develop contact lists and internal databases to carefully track federal, state, and local legislative work; and assist with event logistics.
- Promote American Progress’ legislative policy priorities and work product by helping facilitate the dissemination of strategies to federal, state, and local officials; governors; and staff.
- Keep American Progress staff updated on news and events related to federal, state, and local affairs, and respond to requests for information from staff.
- Coordinate outreach activities with both the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund to maximize impact.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including assisting other members of the Government Affairs team.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- At least one year of related professional experience.
- Superb verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter who takes initiative and direction as needed.
- Ability to plan ahead, set priorities, and multitask.
- Familiarity with federal, state, and local government branches, as well as other relevant organizations.
- Understanding of federal, state, and local policy issues, with a keen interest in the legislative process.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment, both independently and as part of a team.
- Experience working with 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations is a plus.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. The salary is budgeted for $40,000.