KIDY, the TEGNA station in San Angelo, TX, is seeking a meteorologist and multi-skilled journalist to join our weather team. The ideal candidate for this role loves covering severe weather and understands the importance of keeping our viewers safe.
Our next meteorologist/MSJ will have strong communication skills, be a team player, have an engaging personality, and a passion for winning severe weather. This person will be a major part of severe weather coverage and must successfully sustain continuous coverage of severe weather events. This person will have a passion for forecasting and telling science stories, enterprising stories, and developing user-generated content in a way that engages all audiences on all platforms. The best candidate for this position has excellent writing, researching, and editing skills.
Working knowledge of WSI and Edius is a plus.
*Provide accurate weather forecasts using the most accurate weather technology in a multi-platform environment
• Create digital and social content multiple times a day and create differentiated weather segments for broadcast
• Produce clean and informative graphics to tell the weather story
• Interact live with the audience on multiple platforms, especially during severe or disruptive weather
• Produce, shoot, write, and edit news stories and use engaging graphics
• Communicate and guide the content teams for aggressive, smart weather coverage when our consumers need it on all platforms
• Work in the field to show various elements of severe weather situations
• Make public appearances
• Perform other tasks as required by the chief and other news managers
* Bachelor of Science in Meteorology preferred
• One-year on-air experience is preferred but will consider entry-level
• Demonstrated ability to provide accurate weather forecasts using the latest weather technology in a multi-platform environment
• Exceptional online and social media skills
• Must actively participate in social media, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
• Knowledge of WSI necessary and knowledge of Edius a plus