WHO WE ARE:
The Teacher Retirement System of Texas is the largest public retirement system in Texas, serving more than 1.5 million people. Innovation, technology, and collaboration make the difference as we strive to continue earning your trust every day. TRS improves the retirement security of Texas public education employees through our ‘best in class’ investment management and delivery of pension and health care benefits.
Our Mission: Improving the retirement security of TRS members by prudently investing and managing the Trust assets and delivering benefits that make a positive difference in their lives.
The Teacher Retirement System of Texas Investment Management Division is seeking a Real Estate Investment Analyst to join the Real Estate Team in Austin, TX.
The TRS Real Estate team manages a $20+ billion global portfolio of real estate investments that is broadly diversified across geographies, risk profiles, and property types – including multifamily, industrial, office, hospitality, retail, and niche sectors. TRS RE participates in various investment structures including commingled funds, separate accounts, co-investments, and direct principal investments.
With offices in Austin and London, TRS RE invests in the Americas, Europe, and Asia by partnering with 40+ world-class investment firms such as AEW, Apollo, Blackstone, CBRE, Greystar, Invesco, KKR, Lone Star, Starwood, USAA Real Estate, and Westbrook.
As an Investment Analyst on the Real Estate team, you will work in deal teams to analyze potential investments and support the entire investment process. You will gain experience in underwriting investments, performing market and macroeconomic research, conducting due diligence, negotiating deal structures, monitoring and analyzing investments / portfolios, communicating with external partners, creating / presenting investment memos, and assisting in strategic projects.
Compensation: The TRS Investment Management Division offers an attractive compensation package consisting of base salary, annual performance incentive bonus, a defined-benefit pension plan as well as 401(k) and 457 retirement plans, and comprehensive benefits. Starting salary is commensurate with experience.
State classification information:
Analyst: 1130/Investment Analyst I/B22
* Please Include a cover letter with your application in order to be considered for the position.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Research and Analysis
- Assists in performing fundamental and statistical investment analysis for potential investment opportunities, including basic investment computations (i.e., return multiples, correlations, volatility analysis, attribution analysis, etc.), using any reliable printed or electronic media, partnership offering memoranda, and one on one contact with general and limited partners.
- Assists investment managers in conducting strategic research, asset allocation analysis, and/or risk management.
- Assists investment managers in analyzing performance attribution using proprietary models.
- Assists in conducting investment research on various industries, companies or countries using computer databases.
- Assists in researching and analyzing national, international, macro/micro economic, and/or business conditions that directly affect agency investments.
- Provides timely written or oral reports of analysis and recommendations to Investments staff and management.
- Assists investment managers in performing due diligence research and analysis for potential investment opportunities and/or external strategies.
- Assists in evaluating portfolio diversification by geography, industry, and sub-asset class.
- Assists in the maintenance/improvement of existing and in the development of new quantitative and valuation models and techniques for investment diversification and risk management.
- Consults or coordinates with investment managers, external managers, analysts, investment accounting, legal counsel, custodian, and third-party advisors and consultants.
- Ensures that the agency Ethics Policy is adhered to in relationships with general partners, external managers, brokers, research suppliers, and other vendors.
- Works with TRS portfolio management systems such as DealCloud and PowerBI.
- Performs related work as assigned.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in business administration, finance, accounting, operations research, math, information technology, liberal arts or a related area.
- Experience in institutional investment research, real estate, accounting, financial analysis, statistical analysis, or a related field.
- Certification as a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) and/or Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA) or working towards CFA/CAIA.
- Investment concepts, terminology, styles, models, strategies, and fundamental investment factors.
- Statistical concepts, methods, and models, and their application to investments.
- Using a computer in a Windows environment with word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and other business software to prepare correspondence, spreadsheets, charts, and reports.
- Conducting data searches and evaluations of large amounts of information, performing complex statistical analysis of the data, and preparing concise and accurate reports and written/oral recommendations.
- Planning, organizing, and prioritizing work assignments to manage a high-volume workload in a fast-paced and changing environment, and in completing detailed work with a high degree of accuracy.
- Verbal and written communication of complex information that is accurate, timely, and based on sound judgment.
- Establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with co-workers, agency staff, and external contacts.
- Work effectively in a professional team environment.
Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) Codes:
Veterans, Reservists or Guardsmen with experience in the Military Occupational Specialty ( http://www.hr.sao.texas.gov/Compensation/MilitaryCrosswalk/MOSC_AdministrativeSupport.pdf ) along with the minimum qualifications listed above may meet the minimum requirements and are highly encouraged to apply. Please contact Talent Acquisition at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or for additional information.
For more information, visit www.trs.texas.gov.