Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) is seeking a Passive House (PH) Field Verifier for its growing Passive House team. Applicants who have experience coordinating and collaboratively problem solving with construction teams, architects, and engineers will be considered. The ideal candidate will be an excellent communicator, both face-to-face in the field and in progress reports. Certified professionals in International or US PH standards are welcome to apply.
SWA’s New York office is currently closed due to COVID-19. This position will require site visits, but this will otherwise be a work from home position until the office reopens.
Primary Responsibilities for the position will include:
The role requires a self-starter able to work independently both in a group environment and in the field.
1. Articulate building science principles and green building program requirements to project teams (owners, architects, engineers, construction managers)
2. Train contractors and trade professionals on high performance construction techniques
3. Manage multiple projects to include developing schedules, tracking milestones and overseeing compliance with Passive House criteria in accordance with SWA’s standard policies and processes
4. Oversee multiple projects and ensure all field inspections and testing is performed in a timely manner
5. Conduct field inspections and testing to assess compliance with construction drawings, quality of construction, performance of HVAC equipment, and airtightness of the building facade
6. Communicate effectively and promptly with colleagues, clients, and project teams via email, telephone, in-person meetings and written reports
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Below is a list of the minimum requirements for the position.
Required industry knowledge, and skills
· Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management or related degree with an emphasis on buildings and their operation
· 0-2 years of experience with building projects in North America and a comprehensive understanding of energy use in buildings
· Testing experience using blower door, duct blaster, infrared camera equipment required
Required Technical Skills/Certifications
· Experience field verifying buildings, especially for green certifications or code compliance
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Programs (in order of importance Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint)
Preferred Technical Skills/Certifications:
· Experience working on Passive House projects is a plus
· Previous rating experience as a HERS Rater, LEED Homes Green Rater and/or NGBS Green Verifier, or other credential demonstrating mastery of high-performance building strategies
· Willingness and ability to obtain applicable certifications through PHI, PHIUS, and/or ENERGY STAR Multifamily New Construction within 1 year of employment.
· Ability to communicate novel or complex concepts and related facts in a clear, concise, organized, and convincing manner in any format (e.g. written, oral, presentation).
· Well-developed interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, confidence and integrity.
· Strong time-management skills and experience managing multiple priorities at once
· Collaborative with strong focus on teamwork
· Excellent work ethic
· Passionate about optimizing MEP systems and improving the built environment
· Desire to love what you do
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without prior notice.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to walk; use hands to type, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand.
When in the field the employee must frequently lift or move objects up to 20 pounds; must be able to climb stairs and endure typical construction site conditions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
Occasional overnight travel may be required (Less than 10%). Frequent local field visits in the Office Metro area will be necessary (estimated at 30-40%). A valid and clean driving license is required.
The majority of the duties will be performed in a construction/field environment which will involve trips to projects sites for observation and training. The remainder of the duties will be performed in a remote office environment until our offices reopen.
Performance will be evaluated against this job description, competencies for this level, and mutually agreed goals.
About Steven Winter Associates, Inc.
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting and advisory services to improve commercial, residential and multifamily built environments for private and public-sector clients. We specialize in energy, sustainability and accessibility consulting as well as certification, research & development and compliance services. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high performance buildings.
For further information on Steven Winter Associates, please visit www.swinter.com.
SWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer – all qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, or marital status.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be reviewed.