Technical Training Instructor – Mentor, OH
At STERIS, our world-class technical training center with highly skilled and qualified Technical Trainers allows us to provide a broad range of hands-on training courses. Offering the opportunity to move from fundamental to advanced knowledge levels, ensuring employees, Customers and clients are able to obtain highly valued hands-on, practical and theoretical knowledge. Our student centered training approach and product specific training labs are designed to enhance the learning experience. Our trainings range from on-line, in-person, and even on-site that can be self guided, or multi-week enhanced educational programs.
STERIS Technical Training Instructors deliver instructor-led classroom and virtual training on preventative and restorative maintenance, as well as troubleshooting of equipment, and is responsible for individual assignments relating to these duties, and those required to support the tasks of assigned curriculum. The Technical Training Instructor assists in developing and enhancing technical skills needed to work on STERIS installed products including: electronics, electrical, mechanics, hydraulics, pneumatics, and software requirements.
Explore our STERIS training website to learn more: STERIS Training Services Website
** Please Note: This is not a remote role and our Technical Training Instructors are all based out of our Mentor, OH Headquarters Training Center. Relocation provided.
What will you do as a STERIS Technical Training Instructor?
At STERIS, we don’t just train new employees. We provide continued product, procedure, and best practice training to our Customers, tenured employees and clients at all levels. This means you might work with new employees such as our Field Service Technicians and even some of our Customers employees that use and work with/on our equipment on a daily basis.
- You will be tasked with training our employees, Customers, clients, and other business partners on STERIS equipment, best practices, software, and procedures amongst other duties.
- Train through various modes of delivery including but not limited to Classroom and Virtual lectures, group discussions and role plays, simulations, testing and evaluation, team exercises, asynchronous, virtual/remote training delivery, etc.
- Conducts technical and related training programs both at Company sites and off-site as needed to teach, mentor, coach and/or monitor new and seasoned employees/Customers attending courses or using training equipment/facilities.
- Assist in the creation of training programs, including outline text, handouts, and tests, and designs laboratory exercises, applying knowledge of all or some of the following: surgical instrument repair, electronics, mechanics, hydraulics, pneumatics, software, and equipment documents.
- Skillfully and masterfully demonstrates procedures being taught, such as preventative maintenance, surgical instrument repair, while applying knowledge of all/some of the following, electrical /electronics, mechanics, hydraulics, and pneumatics, using hand tools, measuring instruments, testing equipment, and following course outlines.
- Perform classroom duties as required to train STERIS and CUSTOMER personnel according to assigned curriculums.
- These duties include, but are not limited to, classroom lecture, group discussions/role plays, testing and evaluation, interactive/distance training, etc.
- Perform Lab/Practicum duties as required to train students according to assigned curriculums.
- Promote safety and safe work practices at all times, and advise students of STERIS practices/procedures as they relate to their job, as well as to the STERIS Service Training facilities.
- Counsel students and provide recommendation remediation to students on an as-needed basis.
- Perform assignments requiring Domestic or International travel, as required.
- Create and utilize prepared and approved lesson plans and course materials when teaching classes.
- Work as a team member to incorporate changes to the curriculums as needed..
- Maintain and work to enhance your own level of expertise in instructional design and delivery techniques, product knowledge and curriculums which are required to demonstrate credibility and trust from Customers.
- We don’t expect you teach a training class on your first day. Anticipate an extended learning and training period for yourself as you learn our products, systems, and SOP’s.
What experience will you need to be a successful STERIS Technical Training Instructor?
- Minimum Associates Degree in relevant Science, Mechanical, Electrical or Instructional background required
- Bachelors Degree in Electrical/Mechanical or Instructional background highly preferred.
- Certification in an approved instructor training program and/or 2-4 years experience in formal (adult) training; industrial, vocational or technical training.is highly preferred.
- Equivalent experience may be considered as replacement for some of these requirements.
Experience / Skills / Requirements:
- Must possess clear oral and written communication skills. Must have strong ability to mentor colleagues in all areas of training expertise to enhance other instructor’s skills.
- Experience with classroom and eLearning instructional development and delivery accompanied with strong facilitation, influencing, and troubleshooting skills.
- Capability to build and maintain learner interest during training.
- Must be able to read and interpret technical documentation, such as electrical and plumbing schematics, diagrams, Isometric and sectional drawings, etc
- Understanding of the products and technologies covered including electrical, electronics, mechanics, hydraulics, and pneumatics, use of hand tools, measuring instruments, and testing equipment. STERIS field experience a strong plus.
- Must possess a Mechanical / Electrical aptitude required to work on, train, and demonstrate equipment capabilities / repairs.
- Must possess the ability to develop lesson plans based on available curriculum materials, including course outlines, equipment manuals, engineering materials.
- Must be able to support the development of training aids, including simulators, e-learning courses, video presentation, distance learning, etc.
- Ability to translate complex topics and ideas and communicate them in an easy to understand form.
- Must have a desire to work, train, educate and communicate for extended periods of time.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and use of LMS applications; database program experience is a plus.
- Must have the ability to form strong relationships with employees and internal/external Customers.
What can STERIS offer you?
This is a great opportunity to join a well-established, global company that will invest in your career growth over the long term. STERIS wouldn’t be where it is today without our incredible, talented people. That’s why we share in our success together by rewarding you for your hard work. Hiring people who are in it for the long run with STERIS is our ultimate goal.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Competitive pay
- Annual merit and bonus plans
- Business travel and all related expenses paid
- Training and coaching
- Medical, vision, dental and life insurance
- 401(k) with a company match
- Paid vacation time and paid holidays
- Tuition assistance
- Opportunities for advancement