Spring Meadow Nursery Inc. is excited to add another Plant Breeder to our Research and Development team. The Plant Breeder is a unique position for an individual who is passionate about breeding and introducing the best woody ornamentals; flowering, edible shrubs, vines and evergreens into the Proven Winners® Color Choice® brand. Proven Winners® is a globally recognized plant brand and has been introducing new shrubs since 2004. This role offers the opportunity to work with a wide array of plant genera and collaborate with a team on plant evaluations and breeding strategies.
Plant Breeder will be responsible for researching specific groups of genera and develop and facilitate a breeding plan. Utilize traditional, as well as, next-generation breeding techniques, embryo rescue, ploidy manipulation, and mutagenesis. This position will involve hands-on seedling selection, plant rogueing, and experiment documentation. Assist in growing and production aspects of new plants and systems for breeding activities. Enjoy being part of a team motivated to bring the best varieties to market.
- Research specific assigned genera.
- Unique traits of interest, base chromosome numbers, ploidy levels, phylogenetics, new cultivars of value, wild germplasm of value, the heritability of traits, and prior breeding efforts.
- Discuss breeding plans and ideas with the Plant Breeding Manager.
- Execute crosses with a team through hand pollination, fly cages, bee cages, etc.
- Utilize traditional breeding, mutation breeding, ploidy manipulation, radiation, and chemical techniques.
- Source germplasm and plant material for breeding purposes.
- Schedule fruit/seed collection and processing.
- Evaluate, sort and rogue seedlings.
- Select, document and request propagation of new varieties.
- Take pictures, record notes on selection and request propagation of new selections.
- Join relevant plant societies and attend industry and plant breeding events to network and continue self-development.
- Schedule, track, manage stock plants, pollen collection and storage.
- Maintain small lots of plants for breeding purposes.
- Assist with seed germination plan.
- Maintain and store collected seed.
- Over winter seed and prepare for germination.
- Continuous improvement on germination rates.
- Use facilities and develop proposals to speed up the process.
- Prepare seedlings for evaluation trials as soon as possible.
- Transplant, grow and prepare seedlings for containerized and field trials.
- Plan/schedule/evaluate/follow-up work progress and prioritize work activities.
- Maintain daily record-keeping activities of the breeding department.
- Monitor crew efficiency and workflow.
- Maintain detailed inventory counts of all on-hand material in the breeding department.
- Maintain timely propagation, and mother stock evaluation and replacement rotation.
- Work with the Plant Breeding Manager to coordinate activity needs requiring a larger workforce.
- Work with all departments to accomplish common tasks; team player.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Follow Spring Meadow Nursery Safety Policy.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
Must be passionate about plant breeding. BS required, Master’s or Ph.D. preferred; in horticulture, genetics, biology or related field and hands-on experience in plant breeding and plant mutation techniques. Must be self-motivated and have the ability to work both independently and as a team. Must be creative, innovative, and be a results-oriented team player. This is a hands-on position that requires activities throughout the nursery. Computer skills are required for the nursery database as well as proficiency in Excel and Word.
1) Must maintain a level of performance equivalent to company standards, that being a “Meets Expectations” in all areas of your performance evaluations, (Self and Management reviews).
¯ The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $42,000.00 – $60,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee discount
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
- Bonus pay
- Bachelor’s (Required)