Job ID: 16123
Agency: Department of Revenue – Business Tax
Location: Rapid City, Pierre, Aberdeen, or Sioux Falls
Salary: $18.36 per hour
Pay Grade: GH
Closing Date: 05/05/21
This is a Full-Time 40 Hours Weekly position with the Department of Revenue. For more information on the Department of Revenue, please visit https://dor.sd.gov/.
Are you investigative? Are you a self-starter?
Does providing service to clients of various backgrounds appeal to you?
Are you able to take detailed information and communicate it effectively in verbal and written forms?
WE NEED YOUR SKILLS TO ASSIST THE CITIZENS AND TAXPAYERS OF SOUTH DAKOTA!
Revenue Agents are proactive decision-makers, who work with individuals, businesses, CFOs, CEOs, and the legal and financial communities. They leverage the latest in technology, telecommunications, and data management systems. They are responsible for planning and conducting onsite examinations of business records. They regularly work with taxpayers, their representatives, certified public accountants and tax attorneys.
The South Dakota Department of Revenue encourages voluntary compliance of tax laws through direct taxpayer assistance and expanded educational opportunities. Along with Basic Tax seminars offered throughout the state, our educational program includes options for online training, webinars, group or industry specific presentations, and one-on-one meetings with Revenue Agents.
As a Revenue Agent, you will have the opportunity to:
- Educate taxpayers on SD tax laws and regulations, as well as address their licensing questions and needs.
- License new businesses and educate them on tax laws pertaining to their business.
- Collect taxes from delinquent taxpayers using departmental procedures.
- Be part of a team of Professional, Dependable and Accountable individuals.
- Use analytical skills to interpret internal reference materials and provide reliable information to callers.
- Participate in department-wide initiatives to increase efficiency in business practices.
- Navigate and reference South Dakota State tax laws and statutes to advise taxpayers on situation-specific questions.
PAY AND BENEFITS:
Starting pay rate of $18.36 per hour; The State of South Dakota offers paid employee health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation leave accrual, and medical, dental, vision, and other benefits. For more information visit https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/.
ADVANCEMENT AND DEVELOPMENT:
After four years of on-the-job training and development, advancement to the Senior Revenue Agent level (GJ) may be earned.
WE WILL TRAIN SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS ON THE STATE TAX LAWS AND CODES!
Knowledge, skills, and experience needed for successful performance:
- ATTENTION TO DETAIL – Attend to all details of assignments and completes work properly, accurately, and thoroughly.
- COMMUNICATION – Listen attentively to others and clearly convey information and ideas.
- COMPOSURE – Remain focused in stressful situations and keep emotions under control at all times.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE – Treat customers courteously and respond to their needs.
- DECISIVENESS – Exercise sound judgment when making decisions and take prompt, decisive action.
- INFORMATION SEEKING – Actively seek, collect, and evaluate information to learn more about issues or events.
- INITIATIVE – Display a high level of effort and commitment towards completing assignments and goals.
- PROBLEM SOLVING – Analyze problems and make sound decisions.
- RELATIONSHIP BUILDING – Work to build and maintain professional relationships with people who provide information, assistance, or support.
- PROFFESSIONAL COMMUNICATION – Interacting with taxpayers and their representatives via phone, email, postal mailings, and in-person communications
- DOCUMENTATION – Use of all the skills listed above to provide clear, concise summaries of taxpayer communications
Occasional travel will be required for this position. Background check is required.
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
Successful applicant(s) will be required to undergo a background investigation. An arrest/conviction record will not necessarily bar employment.
NCRC: If you possess a National Career Readiness Certificate, please submit the certificate with your application. For more information on how to acquire a National Career Readiness Certificate contact a South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation Job Service Office. A certificate is not necessary to be considered.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Fax: 605.773.4344
“An Equal Opportunity Employer”