Job ID: 15931
Agency: Department of Social Services/South Dakota Human Services Center/ Scheduling Office
Salary: Depending on Experience
Pay Grade: NMI Career Band
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This is a full-time position with the Department of Social Services at the South Dakota Human Services Center. For more information on DSS, please visit http://dss.sd.gov.
This is a full-time supervisory position in nursing leadership that focuses on the coordination of 24-hour staff coverage within an inpatient psychiatric hospital to ensure proper staffing levels and works with each department of the hospital to develop scheduling requirements. This position will work directly with nursing leadership in these departments to create and balance schedules for direct care staff. This position is expected to be proficient in the electronic hospital-wide scheduling system. This position will also supervise scheduling coordinators in the Centralized Scheduling Office; promote teamwork for scheduling coordinators and nursing leadership; train new staff to use the scheduling system; monitor, test, and implement scheduling system upgrades; monitor overtime, vacation and sick leave of employees; prepare reports for nursing leadership pertaining to scheduling.
This is primarily an 8-hour day and/or p.m. position but may vary according to the needs of the facility, department, and supervisory responsibility. This position will be required to work as a direct care nurse every eight weeks to stay proficient in nursing skills.
Licenses and Certifications:
Must be licensed to practice as registered nurse in the State of South Dakota.
The Ideal Candidate will have:
Preference will be given to applicants with supervisory and scheduling experience.
- supervision and other personnel management processes;
- state and institution policies and procedures concerning scheduling and leave time;
- record keeping;
- scheduling and 24-hour staff coverage requirements;
- computer systems and applications;
- timekeeping practices and procedures.
- exercise independent judgement in evaluating situations and making decisions;
- communicate effectively and concisely;
- recognize changing staffing needs in order to provide continuity of care based on acuity of departments;
- plan and project future staffing needs and changes;
- deal with and prioritize emergency scheduling situations effectively;
- demonstrate flexibility while working with various program areas;
- apply appropriate policies and procedures in a uniform manner;
- gather information and prepare reports;
- interpret objectives and develop practical applications;
- display high integrity and act decisively;
- focus on patient care needs by working with nursing leadership teams and the Centralized Scheduling Office;
- lead organization change and turn vision into strategy;
- develop successful teams by promoting teamwork and building competence in employees supervised;
- inspire high performance in other employees.
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
Successful applicant(s) will be required to undergo a background investigation. An arrest/conviction record will not necessarily bar employment. Successful applicant(s) will undergo an abuse and neglect screening. Offers of employment are conditional upon successful completion of a drug screening.
NCRC: If you possess a National Career Readiness Certificate, please submit the certificate with your application. For more information on how to acquire a National Career Readiness Certificate contact a South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation Job Service Office. A certificate is not necessary to be considered.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation, and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Fax: 605.773.4344
“An Equal Opportunity Employer”