*** $2,500 Hiring Incentive ***
Current Department of Transportation Employees do NOT qualify for Hiring Incentive
Job ID: 16184
Agency: Department of Transportation / Division of Planning and Engineering
Salary: $25.88 – $38.08 (or $79,511.04 annually) per hour, depending on experience
Pay Grade: E1 – E4
Closing Date: 05/19/2021
This is a full-time position with the Department of Transportation. For more information about the Department of Transportation, please visit http://dot.sd.gov.
This position is involved in designing and preparing plans for highway structures. Duties include, but are not limited to preparing structure layouts; participating in site investigations; performing structural design and design checks; preparing quantity calculations and cost estimates; writing notes and specification; and creating structure plans for letting and construction.
The incumbent will work in an office environment with 8 hour work days Monday through Friday. Some in-state travel is required for structure site inspections with occasional overnight stays as necessary for long distance and/or multi-day work trips.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
Only applicants with a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or a related field will be considered. Applicants should possess or be eligible to obtain an FE or PE License and will be required to obtain PE when eligible.
- civil, environmental and structural engineering principles, practices and theories;
- familiarity with structural engineering design software;
- basic principles and terminology of computer operation.
- effectively use Microsoft Office products;
- communicate effectively.
- physically traverse natural and constructed terrain in the field around structure sites to perform inspections;
- read, interpret, and evaluate engineering plans, and specifications for acceptable engineering practices;
- organize, analyze, calculate, and evaluate available information and draw reasonable conclusions;
- communicate information clearly and concisely;
- effectively plan, organize and prioritize work activities to meet schedules and deadlines;
- work in a team environment;
- develop positive working relationships.
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Fax: 605.773.4344
“An Equal Opportunity Employer”