PLEASE ATTACH THE ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS LISTED AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE
Job ID: 15999
Agency: Bureau of Administration – Office of the State Engineer
Location: Pierre, location is negotiable
Salary: $52,972.56 – $70,115.04 annually, depending on experience
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
For more information on the Bureau of Administration, please visit https://boa.sd.gov/.
The preferred work location is Pierre, but other work locations will be considered and will be discussed with the selected applicant. Engineer/Architectural classification will be dependent upon work experience. This position is expected to perform professional-level engineering/architectural work of moderate scope and moderate complexity. This role is for a well-grounded professional who has a solid working knowledge of engineering principles and practices. Work is performed independently and in accordance with defined policies, procedures, practices, and standards. The successful applicant must establish effective working relationships with co-workers, consultants, contractors, and other agency personnel.
This position will design, review, recommend for approval plans and specifications; and supervise building projects to ensure that plans and specifications comply with generally accepted engineering practices and state laws and that construction projects are built according to plans and specifications. They will also coordinate work with other engineers and various stakeholders to facilitate participation in the development of a project design. The incumbent will act as project manager on the projects assigned to them; this includes generating necessary paperwork for advertisements, solicitations, pay applications, performing inspections, leading review meetings, keeping affected personnel informed, manage bid openings, and project closeouts.
Selected applicant will undertake required Federal and State training to obtain certifications or more advanced knowledge.
This position will generally work five, 8-hour days, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Alternate work schedules may be considered. Work schedules may also vary due to emergency situations and project schedules. Work is completed in a typical office environment as well as on construction sites. In-state travel is required for site investigations and construction administration, with occasional overnight stays as necessary for long-distance and/or multi-day work trips. Must have a valid driver’s license.
Licenses and Certifications:
- E.I.T in the State of South Dakota or Professional Engineer in the State of South Dakota;
- Licensed Architect in the State of South Dakota or Architectural Intern in the State of South Dakota or Architectural Graduate.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
A bachelor’s degree in engineering or architecture/project management plus 1-5 years of progressive technical experience.
- building construction methods;
- building inspection techniques;
- principles of effective human relations and dealing with the public;
- Federal and State rules and regulations;
- building codes and standards;
- Microsoft Office;
- Engineering and/or Architectural principles;
- broad knowledge of technical fields, including civil, mechanical, electrical, structural, and architectural.
- manage State contracts;
- conduct field surveys;
- complete building and site inspections;
- make recommendations;
- prepare plans and specifications for public improvement projects for in house designs;
- correspond with personnel on projects.
- manage assigned budgets;
- provide technical guidance;
- provide work direction to consultants, contractors, and co-workers;
- coordinate the work of project teams to accomplish agency objectives in a timely manner;
- assign appropriate priorities to work activities based on organizational goals and situational pressures;
- complete designs and specification documents in accordance with established regulations, engineering/architectural standards, specifications;
- evaluate, review and approve designs and specifications;
- establish good relationships with co-workers, consultants, contractors, and other agency personnel.
Additional Requirements: Applicants must submit a current resume, cover letter, and a copy of their transcripts with their application.
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Fax: 605.773.4344
“An Equal Opportunity Employer”