PLEASE ATTACH THE ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS LISTED AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE
Job ID: 15730
Agency: Department of Public Safety – Division of Emergency Services
Salary: $21.18 – $27.00, depending on experience
Pay Grade: GJ
Closing Date: 03/04/2021
This is a Full-Time 40 Hours Weekly position with the Department of Public Safety. For more information on the Department of Public Safety, please visit https://dps.sd.gov/.
The South Dakota Office of Emergency Management protects South Dakotans and their property from the effects of natural, manmade, and technological disasters. To fulfill this charge, we recognize the four phases of emergency management: Preparedness, Response, Recovery, and Mitigation. These four phases have various programs and planning steps associated with them.
As a member of the Response branch, the regional coordinator has the exciting and challenging role of responding to emergency or disaster incidents. Their role at these incidents is to support and provide guidance to the local jurisdiction, evaluate the situation and determine the proper state response, coordinate response and recovery activities with other state and volunteer agencies, and assist with the jurisdictional recovery from the event to include the restoration of essential infrastructure and government essential functions.
This position has the fulfilling role of providing information and technical advice to local and state officials concerning emergency and disaster programs and planning to ensure compliance with all programs related to preparedness, response, recovery, and mitigation. The regional coordinator provides guidance to state and local officials with the implementation of emergency and disaster contingency plans and procedures, response and recovery activities, damage assessment, hazardous materials, administrative procedures, local emergency operations plans, and homeland security plans and strategies. In addition, the regional coordinator provides guidance on the Homeland Security grant program and provides critical infrastructure assessments within the Infrastructure Protection program.
This position further acts as a liaison between the Office of Emergency Management and local, tribal, state, and Federal agencies to ensure a functional emergency management program by promoting the Office of Emergency Management, its programs, and its initiatives.
The position also oversees and monitors grant requirements related to the Local Emergency Management Performance Grant which is administered by members of the Response Branch. Monitoring involves basic financial tracking, review, and verification as well as task and activity verification.
Normal office environment and some field operations throughout South Dakota. Flexible schedule with option for some remote work from home.
The regional coordinator is also responsible for completing special projects as assigned.
Licenses and Certifications:
Must have a valid Driver’s License.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
A Bachelor’s degree in a related field or combined experience of at least 5 years is preferred.
- emergency management and homeland security programs;
- incident command;
- disaster and emergency planning;
- emergency resources and procedures;
- federal and state laws and rules as they relate to emergency management;
- functions of an emergency management agency;
- government processes and operations;
- grammar usage and mechanics related to business writing and editing;
- computer applications- Microsoft Office Suite.
- strong computer skills;
- strong verbal communication skills;
- strong interpersonal skills;
- be highly motivated and self-starting.
- be adaptable to an ever changing environment;
- be a good communicator among a wide variety of groups;
- remain composed during stressful situation;
- provide conflict management between individuals;
- develop others through mentoring;
- be motivated and self-starting;
- influence others to support office initiatives;
- actively seek out information to learn more about an issue or event;
- initiative toward completing assignments and goals;
- analyze problems and make sound recommendations;
- build relationships that may someday assist or support the office.
Additional Requirements: If applicable, please provide college transcripts with your resume.
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
Successful applicant(s) will be required to undergo a background investigation. An arrest/conviction record will not necessarily bar employment.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Fax: 605.773.4344
“An Equal Opportunity Employer”