PLEASE ATTACH THE ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS LISTED AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE
Job ID: 15705
Agency: Bureau of Finance & Management
Salary:$42,000 – $55,000 depending on experience
Pay Grade: depends on experience
Closing Date: 03/17/2021
This is a Full-Time 40 Hours Weekly position with the Bureau of Finance & Management. For more information on the Bureau of Finance & Management, please visit http://bfm.sd.gov.
Seeking May 2021, December 2021, and May 2022 accounting graduates.
The Bureau of Finance and Management (BFM) is looking for motivated and skilled entry level accountants to help prepare the financial statements for the State of South Dakota. This position is a full-time accounting position within BFM’s Accounting and Financial Reporting Office located in Pierre, SD. Opportunity for career growth exists with several different career paths available.
BFM is a vital component of the state’s financial operations. Our small but industrious staff works in five divisions: Accounting and Financial Reporting, Executive Management Finance Office, Financial Systems, Budget Analysis, and Internal Control.
These teams are responsible for preparing the state’s annual financial statements, serving as the finance office for all state bureaus, managing the operations of the state’s financial and HR systems, managing the state budget process, and implementing and managing the state’s internal control framework.
BFM has a history of producing leaders in state government. Many department secretaries, commissioners, division directors, agency finance officers, and high-level accountants started at, or spent parts of their careers with BFM.
The candidate selected for this position will have the opportunity to:
- be part of an expanding and innovative team designed to carry out statewide accounting and financial reporting;
- learn governmental accounting;
- prepare financial statements for the State of South Dakota;
- provide state-wide leadership, advocacy, and service to other state agencies;
- carry out specialized accounting processes performed within BFM.
Beyond the chance to discuss, influence, and create state fiscal and accounting policy, employment with state government comes with many great benefits:
- tuition assistance for obtaining masters degree available;
- 15 days paid vacation leave, 14 days paid sick leave, paid family leave, and 10 paid holidays per year to help ensure work-life balance;
- a fully funded state pension plan that is rated as one of the best in the nation;
- a generous health insurance plan with no premium options.
This position is exempt from the Civil Service Act.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
The successful applicant will have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in accounting upon graduation. No experience is required but interest in governmental accounting and a desire in obtaining CPA certification is beneficial.
Microsoft Excel, Word, Query, and other desktop tools;
- governmental (fund) accounting;
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP);
- Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) statements;
- Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS) and Governmental Auditing Standards;
- governmental fiscal administrative processes.
- communicate information clearly and concisely;
- work within a team environment;
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with others;
- attention to details.
Additional Requirements: To be considered, attach a Cover letter, resume, and college transcript with application.
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
Apply via the external application link through Handshake.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Fax: 605.773.4344
“An Equal Opportunity Employer”