The Engineer performs general maintenance work to ensure hotel physical plant quality and safety standards are achieved and maintained. The Engineer takes care of the building, equipment and grounds of the hotel. This position will perform maintenance and repairs, and preventative maintenance, to all areas of the hotel.
- Perform general maintenance and repairs for assigned area of expertise such as the interior and exterior of buildings, hotel rooms and contents, laundry and kitchen/refrigeration equipment, lighting, heating, air conditioning (HVAC), ventilation, water treatment systems, and swimming pool, etc.
- Perform preventative maintenance on a regular basis and ensure that assigned equipment is maintained and operational.
- Adhere to federal, state and local safety regulations, brand standards and other compliance requirements.
- Report all unsafe conditions or malfunctioning equipment to supervisor.
- Follow procedures that ensure the security of inventory and assets such as tools, supplies, equipment, furniture, televisions, etc.
- Replenish supplies and inventory in a timely and efficient manner and minimizes waste.
- Take required readings on equipment.
- Replace and program televisions as needed.
- Replace light switches, receptacles, light bulbs and fixtures.
- Paint designated areas and perform plumbing repairs (i.e. clogged drains, copper pipe, change washers, change handles, drain fittings, etc).
- Understand and be able to read blueprints and wiring diagrams.
- Refurbish furniture and fixtures and repair all types of wall coverings.
- Repair and program hotel electronic lock system.
- Deal with reasonable complaints/requests with professionalism and patience.
- Display professional appearance and demeanor at all times.
- Attend departmental pre-shift and mandatory meetings.
- Perform other duties as requested by management.
Additional Job Description
- Attentive, friendly, helpful and courteous to all guests, managers and fellow employees.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Reading and writing abilities are utilized in order to document or record all tasks completed, to order supplies, to receive instructions for the day and/or to read equipment repair manuals.
- Mathematical skills, including basic math, percentages, quantities, and variances.
- Professional verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Prioritization and time management skills.
- Interior and exterior of building with potential for guest facing contact.
- Exposure to extreme temperatures inside and outside of the building.
- Must be able to exert in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently and/or in excess of 20 pounds constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
- Frequent bending, kneeling, climbing, stooping and reaching.
- Ability to stand during entire shift.
Expected Hours of Work
- Must be flexible to work variable days of the week to include weekends and holidays.
- Must be flexible to work variable shifts (days, nights, overnights).
- Ten to twelve hour shifts sometimes required.
Education and Experience
- Specialized knowledge and skills or certification within a field or discipline such as plumbing, electrician, carpentry, equipment mechanics, HVAC, refrigeration, etc.
- Trade school and/or college course work in related field preferred.
- Experience in a hotel or a related field preferred.
Sonesta recognizes that benefits play a vital role in helping ensure the health and financial security of employees and their families. We offer a variety of benefits to our employees including:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Health Savings Account with Company Match
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match
- Paid Vacation and Sick Days
- Sonesta Hotel Discounts
- Educational Assistance
- Paid Parental Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Company Paid Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Various Employee Perks and Discounts