Position: Construction Services Staff Professional
Requisition Number: 2021-2330-04
S&ME is a leading, employee-owned, multi-disciplined professional services firm that responds to clients with innovative, sustainable solutions. S&ME strives to create an environment where everyone can be their best by providing a supportive atmosphere of entrepreneurial growth, to build growing relationships, and to take on increasingly complex project opportunities. We recruit top talent and are currently seeking an experienced full-time Staff Professional to join our team in Columbia, South Carolina.
Typical assignments and responsibilities for this position include (but are not limited to):
· Testing of soil, concrete, asphalt, aggregate, and masonry mortar/grout on construction projects for compliance with ASTM, AASHTO, DOT, and/or project specifications;
· Review of civil, architectural, and structural plans and specifications in preparation of field site visits and observations;
· Documentation of field activities, observations, and testing results on construction projects, and their conformance with (or deviation from) project plans and specifications;
· Daily use of Metafield®, and/or other field and laboratory information management systems, for recording of field observations and testing results;
· Communication of field and laboratory observations and testing results with Construction Services and Geotechnical Project Management staff, general contractors, and clients;
· Assisting Project Management staff with review of field data, disposition of identified construction discrepancies, and preparation of formal reports;
· Preparation of field and laboratory cost estimates and proposals in accordance with projects plans and specifications, International Building Code (IBC) requirements, and client-provided requests for proposals;
· Development of relationships with peers in the local engineering and construction communities through participation in local professional organizations such as the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Associated General Contractors (AGC), and American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC).
· BS in Civil or Geotechnical Engineering, a Construction related field, or appropriate technical field, or ability to obtain within 6 months, required;
· Engineering Intern certification (or ability to obtain within 12 months), preferred;
· 2+ years of experience with field and/or laboratory construction materials testing;
· Effective communication skills (speaking, reading, and writing), using the English language;
· An understanding of professionalism and tact, relative to interaction with all members of the design and construction team, including (but not limited to) site laborers, project owners, site superintendents, architects, design engineers, and project managers;
· Willingness to obtain International Code Council (ICC), American Concrete Institute (ACI), and/or Department of Transportation (DOT) certifications in the fields of aggregate, asphalt, soil, reinforced concrete, and masonry, required;
· Willingness to work outdoors in varying weather conditions (Company will provide Personal Protective Equipment and inclement weather gear, as appropriate);
· Ability to work and maneuver equipment (such as a loaded wheelbarrow) on uneven ground and around active construction sites;
· Willingness to travel out-of-town (and overnight) for short duration assignments;
· Ability to routinely lift 40 to 50 lbs. (field/laboratory samples and equipment) required.
To apply go to www.smeinc.com/careers and click the “Career Openings” link. This is a full-time position with competitive pay based on experience. Successful candidate must meet requirements of the company’s Fleet Management Program, Substance Policy and Reference check program. Submit resume, cover letter, and salary expectations for consideration. Only qualified candidates with acceptable employment eligibility verification (I-9) will be considered. Visa assistance not provided. S&ME reserves the right to fill this position with an internal or external candidate at any time during the search. S&ME is not responsible for unauthorized job postings or submissions of resumes using external links/websites.
No candidate/recruiter calls, personal calls or walk-ins accepted.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.
Minorities/Females/Disability/Veterans; VEVRAA Federal Contractor