Position: Construction Services Engineer/Associate Project Manager
Requisition Number: 2020-2320-35
S&ME is a leading, employee-owned, multi-disciplined professional services firm that responds to clients with innovative, sustainable solutions. S&ME strives to create an environment where everyone can be their best by providing a supportive atmosphere of entrepreneurial growth, to build growing relationships, and to take on increasingly complex project opportunities. We recruit top talent and are currently seeking a full-time Construction Services Engineer/Associate Project Manager to join our team in Knoxville, Tennessee. Typical duties and responsibilities for this position include (but are not limited to):
- Working under the direction of the Construction Services Group Leader, serve as Associate Project Manager for small to medium-sized construction materials testing and Special Inspections projects;
- Generate field and laboratory cost estimates and proposals in accordance with projects plans and specifications, International Building Code (IBC) requirements, and client-provided requests for proposals;
- Prepare documentation of (and mentor staff in performing) field activities, observations, and testing on construction projects, and their conformance with (or deviation from) project plans and specifications;
- Daily use of Metafield, and/or other field and laboratory information management systems, for recording and reporting of field observations and testing results;
- Development of relationships with peers in the local engineering and construction communities through participation in local professional organizations such as the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Associated General Contractors (AGC), and American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC);
- Coordination of local and regional business development and marketing efforts;
- Possess a strong working knowledge of applicable ASTM, AASHTO, and DOT standards and procedures, as well as IBC Special Inspections;
- Possess a working knowledge of equipment maintenance and calibrations for compliance with AASHTO Accreditation Program requirements (including internal and external audits), as well as organization and maintenance of a state radiological license for nuclear density gauges;
- Possess a strong understanding of effective leadership, business metrics, safety policies/procedures, human resources policies/procedures, and risk management awareness.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Geotechnical Engineering, Construction Management or closely related field of study;
- Professional Engineer (PE) license preferred, but not required;
- 4+ years of Materials Testing, Special Inspections, and/or Geotechnical experience;
- Effective communication skills (speaking, reading, and writing), using the English language;
- An understanding of professionalism and tact, relative to interaction with all members of the design and construction team, including (but not limited to) site laborers, project owners, site superintendents, architects, design engineers, and project managers;
- Willingness to work outdoors in varying weather conditions (Company will provide Personal Protective Equipment and inclement weather gear, as appropriate);
- Ability to work and maneuver equipment (such as a loaded wheelbarrow) on uneven ground and around active construction sites;
- Willingness to travel out-of-town (and overnight) for short duration assignments;
- Ability to routinely lift 40 to 50 lbs. (field/laboratory samples and equipment) required.
This is a full-time position with competitive pay based on experience. Successful candidate must meet requirements of the company’s Fleet Management Program, Substance Policy and Reference check program. Submit resume, cover letter, and salary expectations for consideration. Only qualified candidates with acceptable employment eligibility verification (I-9) will be considered. Visa assistance not provided. S&ME reserves the right to fill this position with an internal or external candidate at any time during the search. S&ME is not responsible for unauthorized job postings or submissions of resumes using external links/websites.
No candidate/recruiter calls, personal calls or walk-ins accepted.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.
Minorities/Females/Disability/Veterans; VEVRAA Federal Contractor