Position Title: Research Assistant II-Microbiologist
The Lasker lab is searching for a highly motivated and creative Research Assisant II to investigate the biology of membraneless organelles in bacteria. More information about our research can be found at: http://laskerlab.org/.
The primary work involves microbiology techniques, biochemistry, fluorescence microscopy, and genetic assays. Duties include protein purification and characterization, strain building, microbiology assays, imaging, library preparation, and training of personnel, as well as general lab maintenance.
Brief Description of Duties:
- The Research Scientist will design and conduct and troubleshoot experiments, participate in the interpretation of results, assist in data analysis and manuscript preparation.
- The Research Scientist will maintain a detailed laboratory notebook.
- The Research Scientist will in involved for lab organization, keeping track of lab supplies, and ordering lab supplies.
Requires a bachelor’s degree in chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology or a closely related field and proven experience in biochemical and molecular techniques. Requires 3-5 years experience. For candidates possessing a Master’s degree, 2+ years experience required.
- The successful candidate will be fluent in English, have good interpersonal and communication skills, and be able to work independently and within a team.
- Experience with standard techniques in microbiology, including cloning, strain building, western blots and RNA extraction.
- Experience in biochemical assays to quantify enzymatic activity, ligand binding, and protein-protein interactions.
- Experience in library preparation for high-throughput sequencing.
- Comfort working in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent organization and record keeping.
- Self-motivated and team-oriented.
This position works in a laboratory or vivarium environment. Further details of the physical requirements of established essential functions for this position will be addressed/discussed during the interview process.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
The Scripps Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic or status.