This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
What Your Job Will Be Like
We are seeking a Systems Engineer interested in specializing in system verification, validation, and integration (VV&I) and especially in software V&V. The selected applicant will join an existing VV&I team within the Use Control mission area supporting the nation’s nuclear deterrent. The successful candidate will need to come up to speed on the technical aspects of a complex system and be willing to work on a high consequence system in a classified environment.
A key facet of the role will be developing and executing test procedures to verify Use Control software against requirements, but the selected applicant also will be participating in an expanded scope of the team to define and perform verification and validation activities throughout all life cycle stages of the system.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Design and implement strategies for tracking requirements, tests, and results
- Collect evidentiary packages to document verification and validation results
- Develop scripts to automate user interface testing using the commercial SmartBear UI testing suite
- Review requirements and design documentation
- Update existing LabVIEW scripts
- Integrate hardware and software elements, executing integration tests and evaluating interfaces
- Ascertain technical details about the system from a diverse set of team members in systems, hardware, software, and quality
- Multi-task on several different VV&I activities in parallel
- Work independently with little supervision as well as collaboratively on an Agile team with others of diverse skill sets
The selected applicant must be able to work onsite at the New Mexico Campus.
About Our Team
The High Confidence System Environments Department researches, analyzes, designs, develops, and delivers well-engineered software architectures and products as well as system engineering models and frameworks for critical systems in high consequence mission environments. Key proficiencies include software engineering; secure embedded software development; systems engineering; software quality engineering; and software verification, validation, and integration.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
Qualifications We Require
- Advanced degree (Master or PhD) in a relevant STEM field or Bachelor’s degree in stated field plus 4 years related experience
- Experience developing software using at least one well-established programming language such as C++, C#, or Java. Use of a programming language for performing assignments in a University class would qualify
- Proven background with Microsoft Word
- Can obtain a Sigma 15 clearance which may require non-lifestyle polygraph testing
Qualifications We Desire
- At least three years’ experience developing software that has been released to an operational environment
- At least one years’ experience with C++ or C#
- Proven experience with software testing or formal software verification and validation practices
- Knowledge and experience in testing methodologies and techniques
- Experience writing automated software tests
- Experience writing formal requirements
- Experience documenting processes and procedures
- Experience with Windows operating environments
- Familiarity with Agile software development practices
- Experience with LabVIEW
- Experience with SmartBear UI testing suite
- Ability to prioritize work and make decisions while working on multiple tasks
- Willingness and ability to quickly learn new tools, approaches, and concepts and to understand and follow defined testing and engineering practices and standards
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with Use Control systems
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.