ich’s, also known as Rich Products Corporation, is a family-owned food company dedicated to inspiring possibilities. From cakes and icings to pizza, appetizers and specialty toppings, our products are used in homes, restaurants and bakeries around the world. Beyond great food, our customers also gain insights to help them stay competitive, no matter their size. Our portfolio includes creative solutions geared at helping food industry professionals compete in foodservice, retail, in-store bakery, deli, and prepared foods, among others. Working in 100 locations globally, with annual sales exceeding $4 billion, Rich’s is a global leader with a focus on everything that family makes possible. Rich’s®—Infinite Possibilities. One Family.
The Process Engineer is responsible for performing diverse engineering analysis, managing engineering projects and implementing process changes for operations. This includes machine capability evaluations, modifications of equipment and developing solutions to production issues relating to materials, processes, and procedures to maximize efficiency and yields. Responsible for Capital Project management including equipment evaluation, justifications, project accounting management, start-up and validation of the operation. All annual reporting and leads EPA compliance programs are coordinated through this individual.
- Manages engineering projects from inception through completion. Initiates concepts, develops designs, estimates costs, formulates justifications, coordinates installations, troubleshoots start-ups, writes operational and maintenance manuals, trains required personnel and validates justification.
- Initiates the investigation and analysis of new materials, equipment, processes and engineering practices for improved performance. * Prepares engineering computations, estimates, surveys, statistics and analysis.
- Coordinates drawing files, CAD file management, process documentation and technical literature for library use.
- Demonstrates thorough knowledge of capital project procedures and follows RPC directives and guidelines.
- Writes procedures (SOPs) for the operation of new equipment or changes to current equipment.
- Participates on Project Teams as the plant engineering resource.
- Evaluates environmental conditions and practices and develops procedures, programs and projects.
- Researches, justifies and implements solutions as required.
- Acts as a company representative in dealing with government agencies on environmental situations affecting the company. Guides and assists plant associates and coordinates departmental responsibilities for proper process control and disposal requirements (Waste oil, Landfill solids, drum labeling, sludge).
- Ensures HAZCOM and PSM procedures and policies are documented and followed. Coordinates training and evaluates changes in systems to maintain compliance.
- Ensures IEPA, MWRD, local county and village procedures and policies are documented and followed. Coordinates paperwork, training and evaluates changes in systems to maintain compliance.
- Plans, conducts, and documents environmental training and meetings for the plant. Assists in developing plant and departmental goals in respective areas.
- Implements and maintains Facility Refrigeration Management and documentation according to IEPA requirements.
- Assists with wastewater pre-treatment procedure and equipment modifications
- Maintains current SPCC (Spill Prevention Control and Containment) and DA (Discharge Authorization) information to comply with the MWRDGC.
- As an extension to the ammonia system safety programs (HAZWOPER and PSM), coordinates the RMP (Risk Management Program) initiatives.
- Annually reports hazardous chemical storage (Tier II) and emissions for compliance.
- Inspects, reports and controls permitting on VOC system for east lot and Odor Control System for the wastewater facility.
- Assists in site development pertaining to testing, groundwater, soil compaction and various civil and environmental prerequisites.
- Demonstrates a thorough understanding of the Niles SCADA and PLC systems through troubleshooting and programming work.
- Responsible for analyzing the operational integrity of these systems, recommending routine checks and calibrations.
- Assists other department’s efforts to provide technical training and guidance for better operations.
- Represents the company’s position and interest effectively in dealing with outside contractors, vendors, and engineering consultants as well as a constructive positive attitude within the facility.
- Communicates effectively and informs operational leaders of related work through scheduling, plant and NWT meetings.
- Ensure Rich’s site safety, environmental and GMP standards are designed to, met and maintained.
- Assists in follow-up of prototype construction with outside vendors.
- Secures quotations and expedites materials and delivery for other departments if necessary.
- Participates in the development of policies and procedures related to engineering, safety, etc.
- A degree in engineering with 3 to 6 years experience in the food industry
- Functional computer, SCADA & PLC programming experience.
- Strong analytical and communication skills. Ability to write a concise report of findings.
- Lean Manufacturing experience.
- Capital project management experience.
- Understand the interrelationships of factors affecting a given situation and be attentive to detail.
- Capable of efficiently integrating existing methods with new innovations to economically solve production problems in a timely manner.
- Able to arrange schedule for immediate corrective actions or support.
- Demonstrated knowledge of efficient and safe manufacturing operations to include product and Associate safety, OSHA standards, product quality (success rates), and cost control (minimizing downtime and waste, optimizing yield)