Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) is a community-based non-profit legal aid agency governed by a local Board of Directors. PLS has an annual budget of $6.5 million from a multitude of funding sources. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina (WNC), Pisgah Legal Services’ provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in WNC. The organization currently has offices in Asheville, Hendersonville, Rutherfordton, Brevard, Burnsville, and Marshall. With a dedicated staff of seventy-six, including thirty-two attorneys plus supporting staff, and an active group of 300 volunteer attorneys, the program provides free services to more than 18,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in the poverty law areas of housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, immigration, and consumer law.
The Program Support position is responsible for supporting the Health Justice Program through direct health insurance enrollment, health education, screening for services, data entry and answering phone calls. The position supports the program in its goals to improve health outcomes and make the connections between health and poverty. PLS staff currently works remotely and when we return to on-site work, the position will likely be based in our Asheville office.
· Commitment to Pisgah Legal Services’ mission, values and vision.
· Successfully complete and pass the certification to become a Certified Application Coordinator (CAC) provided by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) to counsel consumers in the ACA health insurance enrollment process.
· Answer phones and schedule appointments.
· Work with individuals in one-on-one appointments to support health insurance enrollment in the NC Marketplace or Medicaid.
· Receive referrals for legal services and complete applications for services. Enter data and work with other staff to determine next steps for applicants.
· Work collaboratively with Health Justice team members of staff and volunteers.
· Utilize web-based software programs to report health insurance enrollment outcomes and track consumer forms.
· Commit to continued learning about the connection between socio-economic factors and health.
· Passionately support the idea of access to quality healthcare for all people.
· Assist with program data entry and grant reporting.
· Provide all information and services in a manner that is culturally and linguistically appropriate and ensure accessibility for individuals with disabilities.
· Provide remote services through phone, Zoom, Microsoft teams and other platforms until COVID-19 restrictions permit in-office work. Upon return to PLS office spaces, the position will be based in Asheville.
· Demonstrated skills at socio-economic and cultural sensitivity, commitment to equity
· Commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, consumers, clients, board members, donors, community groups, member organizations and others
· Self-motivated, able to work independently
· Detail-oriented, accurate and organized
· Ability to understand, remember, and carry out complex instructions
· Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
· Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with teams
· Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in areas such as in social work, public health, public policy or a related field
Salary ranges from $30,690 – $47,672 depending on experience. Excellent fringe benefits, including 401(k) retirement plan, as well as life, health, and disability insurance.
E-mail resumé and cover letter describing relevant experience to email@example.com. PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status