Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) is a community-based non-profit legal aid agency governed by a local Board of Directors. PLS has an annual budget of $7.5 million from a multitude of funding sources. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina (WNC), Pisgah Legal Services provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in WNC. The organization currently has offices in Asheville, Avery, Hendersonville, Highlands-Cashiers, Rutherfordton, Brevard, Burnsville, and Marshall. With a dedicated staff of 89, including thirty-seven attorneys plus program staff, and an active group of 300 volunteer attorneys, the program provides free services to more than 20,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in the poverty law areas of housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, immigration, and consumer law.
PLS is seeking a full-time Bilingual Receptionist/ Legal Screener. Applicants should be passionate about promoting justice and overcoming barriers facing low-income people, be a creative and zealous team-player, and be committed to achieving lasting results for clients and low-income communities.
· Serve as a receptionist.
· Provide high quality legal screening for prospective PLS Applicants.
· Accurately complete legal screening applications within the Legal Server System in a timely manner and monitor all generalist call-back lists and online applications.
· Respond to urgent requests for services and have the ability to flag issues for supervisory review.
· Coordinate and communicate with the Volunteer Coordinator on legal screening and use of volunteers, which will involve distribution of screening work and case flow coordination, as well as assisting in training of volunteer screeners and receptionist when needed.
· Spanish interpreting for Advocates
· Demonstrated fluency in English/Spanish required.
· Previous experience in interpretation required.
· Word processing skills.
· Experience with data entry.
· Ability to understand, remember, and carry out complex instructions.
· Experience in law office and cloud-based systems.
· Experience working and communicating with low-income population preferred.
Salary $31,120 – $48,339 based on years of experience. Excellent fringe benefits, including 401(k) retirement plan, as well as life, health, and disability insurance.
E-mail resumé and cover letter describing relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Racial minorities, women, the elderly, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.