Philmont Scout Ranch is seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated individual to serve as a Program Administration Specialist. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in outdoor program delivery and management in youth camp settings.
This position’s primary responsibility will be the management of the Philmont Ranger Department. This department is the largest seasonal team on the ranch, with just over 300 total positions and impacts the experience of every single crew that completes a trek at Philmont. The Program Administration Specialist will also provide leadership to year-round program experiences offered through Autumn Adventure and Winter Adventure programs. Support will also be provided to various aspects of backcountry program through this position.
- Management of the Ranger Department, the largest seasonal team at Philmont Scout Ranch.
- Review, update, and organize the summer training regimen for Rangers.
- Align all practices of the Ranger department with industry best practices, including Leave No Trace principles, in order to protect the valuable Philmont landscape, brand, and wilderness experience.
- Ensure these standards are maintained by the Ranger team and are taught through their interactions with all crews attending Philmont Scout Ranch.
- Hires and manages the leadership of the Ranger Department to assure a consistent and intentional leadership style.
- Manages the Ranger department budget, program inventory, supply orders, and all assets associated with the Ranger Office facility.
- Works with the Sr. Program Administration Specialist to support various backcountry camp operations as assigned.
- Support the Logistics department with Search and Rescue operations through SAR teams assembled by Ranger leadership.
- Manages the development and implementation of a dynamic Autumn and Winter Adventure Program. This includes innovative program development, program promotion, communication with customers and budget management.
- Responsible for the hiring and day to day management of the Autumn and Winter Adventure seasonal staff.
- Provide support on special projects and assignments as assigned.
- Team player that is concerned with the success of the Philmont Scout Ranch operation by being a supportive member of the team.
- Other job-related duties as assigned. Qualifications/ Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Previous experience managing summer camp programs and operations, as well as experience delivering outdoor programs to youth.
- A minimum of three years’ experience in leadership roles managing other staff in a summer camp setting.
- Experience or training in Search and Rescue protocols and standards will be a plus.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office 365 (e. Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Word).
- Must be able to communicate with positive customer service with all levels of the organization both internally and externally.
- Great attention to detail, highly organized with multi-tasking skills.
Salary Range – $44,300 – $47,000. Housing is provided at a value of over $9000.00 per year, including utilities. The National Council, Boy Scouts of America is an equal opportunity employer. In addition to offering a competitive annual salary; the BSA offers benefits to include major medical, prescription coverage, dental, vision, life-insurance, short and long-term disability, accidental death, and a defined benefit retirement plan. We also offer generous PTO and 11 holiday observances. Housing included above base salary.
How to apply:
Qualified candidates please email a completed BSA Application, cover letter, and resume to: Philmont.HR@scouting.org. The subject line of the email should state Program Administration Specialist. Applications will be accepted through March 12, 2021.