The Sr. Human Resource Specialist/Generalist serves as the primary backup in the following areas of Labor Relations, employee relations, benefits and payroll while under the direction and support of the Mill HR Manager. Counsel employees concerning work-related problems, provide managers with suggestions and strong recommendations to address personnel issues, and benchmark market practices, present analysis and proposals to management for approval. Manage the recruitment function for both hourly and salaried positions within the Mill.
- Oversee and manage the hiring process at the Mill for both hourly and salaried open positions. This includes initiating the requisition, understanding the needs of the hiring manager, creating and posting the position, managing the applicant flow log, interviewing, assisting the hiring manager with selecting the best qualified candidate, preparing and extending the offer, completing the Applicant File Folder and handling the on-boarding process of the new hire.
- Serve as the primary HR contact for any communication and relationship issues between the union and management, hourly and salaried, operators and managers, etc. Under the oversight of the Mill HR Manager coordinates all hourly employee relation issues and works with management and the employee on a swift and appropriate outcome.
- Perform staff support activities and analysis to develop, implement, and administer market-compatible human resource practices.
- Counsel both hourly and salaried employees with issues/concerns related to health and welfare benefits. Enlists the assistance of the Corporate Benefits staff when needed.
- Counsel both hourly and salaried employees with issues/concerns related to their pay. Enlists the assistance of the Corporate Payroll staff when needed.
- Administer the hourly absenteeism policy and has discretion to recommend disciplinary action up to a written warning.
- Handle 3rd step grievance responses, up to and including settlement of the grievance. Arranges 4th step meetings. Responsible for organizing grievance files, assists in preparation and presentation of arbitration.
- Play a critical role with the Mill HR Manager, Mill management and corporate Labor Relations team in planning and developing labor contract negotiations for the Mill.
- Act as a resource when necessary for fair interpretation of contract language, Mill rules and regulations.
- Know and follow policies and procedures of the company, shares information that would benefit other members of the team and find ways to improve the delivery of service to our customers.
- Strive to continually strengthen PCA’s business philosophy of meeting needs and exceeding expectation for customers specifically supporting PCA’s Commitment to Service which involves doing what’s right for our customers, focusing on strategies that add value and support growth, and keeping the promises that we make.
Interactions with Customers and Contacts:
The Sr. HR Specialist/Generalist works with the hiring managers and Mill HR Manager on issues related to the hiring process. As a means of support, he/she will seek the direction and advice of the HR Regulatory and Compliance Manager. Generally, the SR. HR Specialist/Generalist interacts with all Mill employees and management and HR type vendors on a regular basis.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Communication or Business is preferred. A Master’s in Labor Relations is a plus.
- PHR certification is a plus.
- Four to six years previous work experience in a related capacity, demonstrating knowledge and understanding of recruiting, labor relations, contract administration and employment life cycle.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven interpersonal skills with strong negotiation and persuasion skills.
- Strong listening, evaluating and problem-solving skills with the ability to collaborate with others and meet deadlines.
- Solid working knowledge of PC applications including Word, Excel, Outlook and ATS. Experience with HRIS software preferred.
- Ability to handle confidential information appropriately and act and think independently with minimal supervision using good business judgemen