Pace is an industry leading contract lab supplying analytical chemistry and microbiology services to the Medical Device, Pharmaceutical, and Life Sciences industry. Since our formation in 2006 we have grown at a rate of over 15% per year and established ourselves as one of the top ten contract laboratories within the United States providing cGMP services to a wide range of clients worldwide. We attribute our rapid growth to our solid quality system combined with an exceptional culture of client service.
Area Supervisors are responsible for the day-to-day management of the laboratory or support area activities within the section assigned. They plan, coordinate and direct the operations of the assigned staff to meet client (internal and external) timelines, provide data of appropriate quality, and deliver reports and protocols on time. Area Supervisors may have direct reports or dotted-line reporting relationships to those they supervise. They are responsible to assure that individuals operate within the quality system and drive individual productivity. The primary differentiator between an Area Supervisor and a Group Leader is that the Area Supervisor role is focused internally, with very limited external client interaction. The Area Supervisor is also expected to spend a majority of their time in the laboratory performing hands-on activities associated with the section assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following, but not limited to:
* Actively performs both routine and non-routine assignments of substantial variety and complexity, utilizing a wide array of instrumentation and/or computer skills.
* For Laboratory Supervisors, the successful candidate will be personally capable of performing the technical activities within the assigned area (e.g. instrumental method development, method validation, and method troubleshooting).
* Ability to lead and oversee various complex projects.
* Directs laboratory and support area projects from set-up through data interpretation and reporting.
* Works with overall laboratory management to continually assess production capacity of the group, in order to make sure that the appropriate steps are being taken to attain the highest possible level of productivity.
* Assist in equipment and facility maintenance; investigate and facilitate the solving of any equipment/ facility problems.
* Promotes cooperation and teamwork within the group and the company.
* Ensure that employees are properly trained and qualified for their positions.
* Oversee that all employees have the necessary training, tools, information, accessories and materials to properly and safely perform their job responsibilities.
* Evaluate employee’s performance. Write, approve, administer, and participate in yearly performance reviews as applicable.
* Facilitate the resolution of employee issues, problems, confrontations, and complaints.
* Laboratory Supervisors possess thorough technical and quality understanding within their specialized area and can provide basic technical and quality support to staff members and clients.
* Support Area Supervisors possess thorough knowledge and understanding of the support area that they manage and can provide basic support to staff members and clients.
* Provide technical guidance to staff on a day-to-day basis, in order to build staff skills and to positively affect production flow.
* Develop and maintain computer skills related to work performed. – Develop a very high level of expertise within EPIC Pro, the PLS Laboratory Information Management System (LIMs).
* Oversee work, ensure accuracy, and assist with validation and other project tasks (as appropriate).
* Participate in management and technical meetings with PLS management and/or the client to ensure PLS and client goals are known, addressed and satisfied.
* Continually assess production capacity of the group relative to others in the group to make sure that the appropriate steps are being taken to attain the highest possible level of productivity.
* Assigns LIMs tasks to analysts/specialists and manages overall LIMs flow within the laboratory or support area.
* Set production goals for all the individuals within the group. Make sure that capacity is understood by each individual, as appropriate, to ensure that client expectations are set accurately.
* Assign training, laboratory or support area, and facility duties. Monitor and review these activities to ensure they are being properly conducted and completed in a timely fashion.
* Interview and assist in selecting new personnel in addition to recommending and promoting current personnel.
* Assure that the assigned area is compliant with Pace Analytical Life Sciences and general regulatory requirements. Work closely with the Quality Assurance group to ensure that all quality procedures are being followed and enforced.
* Become familiar and regularly updated with quality and regulatory policies associated with the technical or support area.
* Ensure office, laboratory and utility areas are clean and orderly so that quality work may be carried out in a safe and efficient manner.
* Participate in writing, reviewing and approving SOPs, calibration procedures, laboratory procedures, validation protocols, maintenance procedures, and any other necessary protocols or reports as appropriate.
* Participate in, promote and ensure that all employees participate in quality, cGMP, safety, method and technique training appropriate for their area and that all employees follow these instructions in their daily work.
Provide leadership and direction to the customer service staff and direct sample check-in and courier logistic activities.
Laptop computer package. May be eligible for a company cell phone.
May be required to travel on a quarterly basis up to 10% of the time or as needed based on company and business needs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Education and/or Experience – Minimum of 5 years’ experience within the field or discipline. Previous experience managing a group.
* Physical Demands – While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and color vision.
* Work Environment – While performing the duties of this job, the employee may frequently be exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals.
* Language Skills – Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to respond to common inquires or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public both verbally and in writing.
* Mathematical Skills – Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
* Reasoning Ability – Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
* Computer Skills – Proficient use of Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Office products especially Excel, Word and PowerPoint, and the ability to multi task between products.
Pace Analytical is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, age, religion, sex, veterans, individuals with disabilities, sexual orientation, or gender identity.