The Career Potential
Ortho Clinical Diagnostics is committed to improving and saving lives with diagnostics. To do this we hire people who share this dream and are ready for new adventures. As a valued team member, you will carve your own career path and be part of building this company stronger and better than ever before. There is no limit to the experiences, opportunities and new directions you will have access to here at Ortho Clinical Diagnostics. More importantly, you will be driving the surge of a whole new direction in important medicine. That’s something we can all take pride in as we take this journey together.
Ortho is known in the industry as a leader in customer service and support. Deeply understanding and exceeding the needs of our clinical lab, hospital and blood bank customers is what we do. It’s who we are. If you join Ortho, no matter what your role, you will be expected to keep that Customer Excellence focus in your work.
As the company continues to grow, we are seeking a Scientist II- Conjugation. The Scientist II-Conjugation, as a member of a cross functional team, is responsible for manufacturing of conjugated biomaterials.
This position will be located in Rochester, NY. It is primarily a day shift position but must be flexible to adjust your schedule to meet project timelines.
- Development and validation of biomaterials to support MicroWell immunoassays.
- Conjugation of antibodies and antigens.
- Analytical characterization of antibodies, antigens, and other biomaterials.
- Supports laboratory procedures creating novel materials and formulations intended for use in the development of new in vitro diagnostic processes using established protocols and SOPs.
- Assists in maintaining accurate records of work performed in accordance with cGMP and the procedures outlined in the Quality System
- Utilizes Design of Experiments (DOE) and other statistical software to analyze experimental data, as directed.
- Work closely with other manufacturing support areas to coordinate activities.
- Maintain equipment in proper working order.
- Maintain individual training records.
- Follow safety procedures and practices.
- Maintains a clean, orderly work environment.
- Communicates problems to team leads and/or supervisor and work closely with peers within small teams.
- Works with computer-controlled equipment and processes.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in related science. Master’s degree in organic chemistry is preferred.
- A minimum of 1-year experience in a lab environment is required. Basic understanding of laboratory skills and techniques (weighing, pipette use, volumetric measure, etc.) are required.
- Ability to write, review and modify procedures, conjugation instructions and other lab documents.
- Familiarity with safe chemical and biological handling required.
- Good understanding of basic statistics, and basic laboratory data evaluation & interpretation preferred.
- Must have basic knowledge of Microsoft office (e.g. word, excel, PowerPoint).
- Dependability and strong organization skills required.
- Experience working on cross functional teams within a manufacturing environment.
- Ability to work independently and in a logical manner to meet deadlines and schedules is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are desired.
- Comfortable working with hazardous materials.