Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ethnicity, veteran, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, or disability, and is committed to workplace diversity.
Are you passionate about preserving, enhancing, and protecting Oregon’s environment? If so, please consider a career with the State of Oregon at the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). At DEQ, employees have the opportunity to work with a dynamic and supportive team of mission-focused individuals tasked with maintaining, restoring, and enhancing the quality of Oregon’s air, land, and water. Here is a video about DEQ: https://youtu.be/iP3K7JoLe1k
The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality has an opening available for a Vehicle Emissions Inspector (Public Service Representative 3) at the Medford Oregon Vehicle Inspection Station. This is a limited duration position that is anticipated to become permanent pending budget approval.
Please consider joining an innovative team, and work to advance our agency’s mission to protect and improve Oregon’s environmental quality. Affecting close to half the population of the State of Oregon, the Vehicle Inspection Program (VIP) is one of the signature programs of the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). VIP is responsible for ensuring over 1 million vehicles in the Portland and Medford areas have well maintained emission control systems, and VIP plays a significant role in the Ozone SIP, air toxics reductions, and implementation of Oregon’s low emissions vehicle program for reducing greenhouse gases. Within its testing boundaries, the VIP program is responsible for about 2/3 of vehicle registrations and VIN inspections for the Department of Motor Vehicles. VIP staff count for 1/6 of the entire Agency staff Click here to view a map of all of the DEQ offices.
What you will do!
The primary purpose of this position is to provide quality customer service in all aspects of the vehicle emission inspection process. The vehicle emission inspection process includes:
- Directing and instructing vehicle drivers on test procedures.
- Entering accurate emission test data and verifying emission control information.
- Attaching test equipment to vehicle systems.
- Completing high volumes of paperwork and financial transactions accurately.
- Handling office duties as assigned, including entering financial information into a spreadsheet and preparing bank deposits.
Do you have strong customer service skills and enjoy working with a variety of customers? Do you work well both independently and as part of a team? DEQ is looking for motivated individuals who can answer YES to both of these questions.
What’s in it for you!
The opportunity to work in a productive and creative environment where no two days are ever the same! We offer a competitive benefits package that offers comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans for the employee and their qualified family members, as well as paid sick leave, vacation leave, personal leave, and 10 paid holidays a year. In addition, we offer membership in the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), and you have the opportunity to potentially receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). If you are passionate about Oregon’s environment, apply today!
This is a full-time, AFSCME represented position.
This recruitment may be used to fill future limited duration and permanent vacancies.
What are we looking for?
Minimum Qualifications: Two years of experience in customer service. One year must have included the explanation of rules, regulations, and policies, and responsibility for dealing with unique or unusual situations.
Candidates who are most competitive will also reflect the following:
- Exceptional customer service skills; ability to communicate effectively with staff and many sectors of the public.
- Extensive experience working with the public; ability to remain calm when working with angry or hostile individuals.
- Excellent money handling skills; experience with cash, debit, and credit transactions.
- Attention to detail in paperwork and form processing.
- Experience working with spreadsheets, reconciling financial transactions, and preparing bank deposits and business reports.
- Basic knowledge of vehicle emission system components; ability to work safely around motor vehicles.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to use computers and keyboards.
- Ability to maintain a flexible work schedule.
Work involves repetitious bending, kneeling, and stooping; standing and walking for extended periods; and lifting of approximately 25 pounds. Work will occur in an environment that includes vehicle exhaust fumes, noise, and heat. Work will occur in all weather conditions and involve exposure to outdoor elements. A driver’s license is preferred as trips to the bank may be required depending on business need.
How to Apply: (complete the application in full)
- External Applicants Click on the “Apply” button and submit your application. Click this link for the External Candidate job aid, and view this video for additional information.
- Internal Applicants (current State of Oregon employees): Apply through your employee Workday account. View this job aid for assistance.
- Be sure to attach a resume and cover letter.
- Allow yourself plenty of time to complete and submit the application, resume, and cover letter.
- Workday will timeout after 20 minutes of inactivity.
- This posting closes at 11:59 PM on the close date listed.
- Be sure to check both your email and Workday account for updates regarding this recruitment.
- Workday performs best in Google Chrome.
- Click here for Resources and a Job Support Page.
Please Note: In addition to your related work experience and education, DEQ will use the desired attributes and minimum qualifications above, under the “What are we looking for?” section to determine whom to interview. Please make sure your attributes and minimum qualifications are clearly demonstrated in your application material.
DEQ provides veterans’ preference points to all eligible veterans. For more information, please go here: https://www.oregon.gov/jobs/Pages/Veterans.aspx. For privacy reasons, please do not attach veterans’ preference documents when initially applying. You will be asked to submit those at a later time.
As an employer, the State of Oregon complies with HB 2005, the Pay Equity Bill. We do not discriminate on the basis of protected class in the payment of wages, and we do not screen applicants on the basis of their current or past compensation. Please visit http://www.oregon.gov/das/hr/pages/equity.aspx for more information.
DEQ does not offer visa sponsorships. Within three days of hire, all applicants will be required to complete the US Department of Homeland Security’s Form I-9, confirming authorization to work in the United States.
If you have questions about the recruitment or need assistance to participate in the application process, please contact Maddy Ouye, Human Resources Analyst, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (503) 347-5759. TTY users: please use the Oregon Telecommunications Relay Service at 1-800-735-2900.