This recruitment will be used to fill two positions. The positions will be in Salem or Pendleton, based on the successful candidates’ locations.
To protect and serve Oregon’s consumers and workers while supporting a positive business climate.
The Department of Consumer and Business Services (DCBS) is a progressive business regulatory state agency dedicated to the mission of protecting and serving Oregon’s consumers and workers while supporting a positive business climate. The department administers state laws and rules governing workers’ compensation, occupational safety and health, financial institutions, insurance companies and building codes. The department has consumer protection and education programs, offices, and ombudsmen to help consumers, injured workers, and businesses.
These positions are with the Building Codes Division (BCD). BCD adopts and enforces the statewide building code relating to the construction, reconstruction, alteration and repair of buildings and other structures and the installation of mechanical, plumbing, and electrical devices and equipment.
These positions are represented by the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees union (AFSCME).
What’s in it for you:
- Rewarding work in a productive and creative environment
- Colleagues who are passionate about public service
- Work/life balance, 10 paid holidays a year, and a competitive benefits package
- Advancement and learning opportunities that will help grow your career with the State of Oregon
- Live, work, and play in Salem or Pendleton
Here’s what you will do:
As a Multi-Discipline Electrical Inspector you will enforce the Statewide Building Code and adopted specialty codes and standards through inspection of all types of buildings; communicate code requirements to the public, contractors, and local officials; and investigate cases of non-compliance and report appropriately.
For a complete listing of the duties and responsibilities of this position, please review the position description by clicking here.
Here’s what you need to qualify:
Possession of all the following certifications:
- Oregon Inspector Certification (OIC)
- Oregon A-level Electrical Inspector Certification
- Oregon Residential Structural Inspector Certification
- Oregon Residential Plumbing Inspector Certification
Note: Successful candidates must obtain the required certifications within 60 days of hire. For information on this process, please click here.
- Ability to communicate technical requirements/procedures to non-technical customers
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, occasionally with irate or upset individuals
Please ensure that you clearly demonstrate in your application materials that you meet the qualifications listed and that you follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may impact your rating or result in you not being considered for the job.
How to apply:
- To apply for this position, click on the “Apply” button to fill out all information in the online application and complete the questionnaire. Failure to do so may result in your application being removed from consideration.
- Only complete applications received by the posted application deadline date will be considered.
After you apply:
- Log in to your Workday account before the job announcement closes to see if you have any pending tasks or actions, and make sure to complete these tasks or actions before the job announcement closes. These can be found under the “My Applications” section.
- Be sure to check both your email and Workday account for updates regarding this recruitment.
- Please save a copy of this job announcement for your reference, as it may not be available for you to view after the job closes.
- You may be asked to submit a skills assessment, a writing sample, or a video interview as part of the application screening process.
- The successful candidate must have a valid driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record. Prior to an offer of employment, DCBS may request that you provide an official driving record.
- This position is subject to a fingerprint background check for any convictions directly related to its duties and responsibilities. Only job-related convictions will be considered and will not automatically disqualify the candidate.
- Eligible veterans who meet the qualifications will be given veterans’ preference. For further information, please see the following website: Veterans Resources. NOTE: If claiming veterans’ preference please be sure to check your Workday account for pending tasks or actions under your “My Applications” section.
- The Department of Consumer and Business Services (DCBS) does not offer VISA sponsorships. Within three days of hire, you will be required to complete the US Department of Homeland Security’s I-9 form confirming authorization to work in the United States. DCBS will use E-Verify to confirm that you are authorized to work in the United States.
Helpful links and contact information:
Learn more about DCBS
Help & Support webpage
For additional information you may contact us by e-mail at DCBS.Recruiting@oregon.gov or by phone at 503-378-3200.
DCBS is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer committed to workforce diversity, equity, and inclusion.