About New York City Cyber Command
New York City Cyber Command (NYC3) is committed to protecting City systems that provide vital services to New Yorkers from cyber threats, and helping residents become safer in their digital lives.
As the organization defending the largest municipality in the country, NYC3 is charged with directing citywide incident response, setting citywide cybersecurity policies and standards and working with city agencies to strengthen their cyber defenses.
We are seeking a motivated, data focused, entry level Associate Data Engineer to join our Data Science Team. Our Data Science Team strives to make security data a strategic asset by providing a platform to structure, manage, integrate, control, analyze, and support threat management activities. As an entry level Software Engineer, you will help build a secure, scalable, and cloud native data processing frameworks that will support NYC3’s cybersecurity mission. Your duties will include:
– Developing and maintaining our data pipeline using Apache Beam, Java, Python and other data processing technologies;
– Identifying and implementing performance improvements across all pipelines;
– Engaging with data consumers and producers in order to design appropriate models to suit all needs;
– Maintaining information exchanges through publish, subscribe, and alert functions that enable users to send and receive critical information as required;
– Supporting incident management, service-level management, change management, release management, continuity management, and availability management for databases and data management systems;
– Administering databases and/or data management systems that allow for the secure storage, query, protection, and utilization of data.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. A baccalaureate degree, from an accredited college including or supplemented by twenty-four (24) semester credits in cyber security, network security, computer science, computer programming, computer engineering, information technology, information science, information systems management, network administration, or a pertinent scientific, technical or related area; or
2. A four-year high school diploma or its equivalent approved by a State’s department of education or a recognized accrediting organization and three years of satisfactory experience in any of the areas described in “1” above; or
3. Education and/or experience equivalent to “1” or “2”, above. College education may be substituted for up to two years of the required experience in “2” above on the basis that sixty (60) semester credits from an accredited college is equated to one year of experience. In addition, twenty-four (24) credits from an accredited college or graduate school in cyber security, network security, computer science, computer programming, computer engineering, information technology, information science, information systems management, network administration, or a pertinent scientific, technical or related area; or a certificate of at least 625 hours in computer programming from an accredited technical school (post high school), may be substituted for one year of experience.
The preferred candidate should possess the following:
– A bachelor’s degree in computer science or information systems with a specialization in mathematics, number; theory, applied cryptography, or statistics or relevant experience;
– Experience with the Agile Development Methodology;
– Expert knowledge in both Java and Python;
– Familiarity with Unix scripting, Web development, and automated testing;
– Familiarity with machine learning techniques and machine learning toolkits such as R, scikit-learn, etc;
– Experience working with Terraform;
– Familiarity with the CI/CD process,
– At least one year professional, academic, or personal experience with software development or data engineering experience (includes internship experience);
– At least 1 year professional, academic, or personal experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages; preferably java or python;
– Familiarity with or exposure to cloud application development;
– Familiarity with distributed data processing frameworks.
Special Note: Taking and passing civil service exams are necessary to maintain employment with the City of New York. Please check the Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS) website (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/work/exam_monthly.shtml) for important exam filing information. Please ensure that you are either a permanent employee in the civil service title listed on this posting, or, that you file for the examination when there is an open filing period. For more information regarding the civil service process, please visit the DCAS website at: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/work/work.shtml
* Interested applicants with other civil service titles who meet the preferred requirements should also submit a resume for consideration
For City employees, please go to Employee Self Service (ESS), click on Recruiting Activities > Careers, and search for Job ID #445669
For all other applicants, please go to www.nyc.gov/jobs/search and search for Job ID #445669
SUBMISSION OF A RESUME IS NOT A GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL RECEIVE AN INTERVIEW
APPOINTMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO OVERSIGHT APPROVAL
Department of Information Technology & Telecommunications and the City of New York are equal opportunity employers.
DoITT participates in E-Verify
Day – Due to the necessary technical support duties of this position in a 24/7 operation, candidate may be required to work various shifts such as weekends and/or nights/evenings.
New York, NY
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.