Interested in seeing what it’s like to be a Norfolk Southern Track Supervisor in the Engineering department? Watch this 2-minute video to find out more.
Track Supervisor Trainees in Norfolk Southern’s Maintenance of Way department play a vital role in our operations team. Supervisors are responsible for managing a team of unionized employees to directly oversee the building, repair, and maintenance of our railroad tracks and bridges. Our extensive new hire trainee program will educate you on the intricacies of working on the railroad in order to accomplish this goal.
During training, you will learn train and track dynamics, track inspection, construction, and maintenance operations, and much more. After completion of the six-month training program, you will manage maintenance employees such as; rail gangs that replace rail and spikes, tie gangs that perform scheduled crosstie replacement, and bridge and building gangs that maintain and repair the bridges and trestles on the railroad. Supervisors will be responsible for managing a territory spanning dozens of miles that can include one or more rail terminals supporting an operation that runs 24/7.
What makes a successful trainee in the Maintenance of Way department?
- A self-starter who can work with little direct supervision
- Ability to lead others-and embracing that role
- Ability to plan, manage, and adapt on the fly
- Building effective and responsive interpersonal relationships
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Ability to create a work environment in which employees are engaged
- Environment: Outdoor/Field
- Shift Work: Yes
- On-Call: Yes
- Weekend Work: Yes
- Travel Required: Extensive Travel and/or Relocation