Nordstrom is committed to being the leader in Omnichannel retailing. We have long recognized the importance of having strong capabilities in both Physical and Digital retailing and we continue to innovate on how we can help our customers LOOK THEIR BEST and FEEL GOOD.
The Safety Manager will help to support our Supply Chain Operations Organization to be a safe environment for our employees. This position is based out of our Midwest Fulfillment Center (MWFC) which is a building that is 1M SF and has an employee population of 1500-2000 individuals.
You will be responsible for developing and implementing plans to best support and address any safety risks at this location. This role gives you the opportunity to partner collaboratively with your broader Safety team around the US, Operations, Legal, Human Resources, etc and you will be the subject matter expert to the Operation leadership team on site. You must have a strong working knowledge of safety and people leadership experience as you will be supporting an onsite Safety Coordinator and onsite consultant nurse and occupational therapist.
This is a position based in our facility location (not a remote work opportunity).
A day in the life…
- Evaluate and investigate incident and accident trends
- Work with Engineering/Facilities teams in advance of new equipment and processes
- Oversee the development and implementation of strategies, policies and procedures for the Safety Program to ensure a safe and healthful building.
- Inspect building on a regular basis to identify potential safety and health hazards including conducting safety audits of the facility
- Monitor and ensure compliance with all state/federal safety and fire laws.
- Ensure the correct safety equipment and signage is on site, the necessary training is complete, and equipment is used properly throughout the building
You own this if you have…
- Experience in Safety or Occupational Safety and Health for 3 to 5 years (preferred)
- Bachelor’s degree desired (or years of equivalent experience); Occupational Safety/Industrial Hygiene or related field highly preferred
- Currently holds, or is actively working towards, one of the following professional certifications: GSP, ASP, and/or CSP; CSP preferred
- Minimum 2 years of direct safety management of others
- Experience working effectively as a team member by attentively listening to and sharing information with others to facilitate a cooperative work environment
- Strong organization, time management, and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Competency in the basic use and application of safety instruments
- The ability to work with little direction and resourceful with good problem-solving skills