2118 AUDITOR, MIDDLE EAST NORTH AFRICA (MENA)
Location: Washington, District of Columbia, United States
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a federally funded, private, nonprofit grantmaking organization that works to support freedom around the world, seeks an Auditor, for the Middle East North Africa (MENA), to join the Compliance team. These positions are based in Washington, D.C.
The Auditor conducts financial monitoring of NED Grantees in one of the selected regions. This shall include conducting risk assessments and monitoring of grantee’s compliance with Federal rules and regulations and NED’s grant making policies and procedures. Additionally, the Auditor shall assist the assigned Compliance team in performing compliance monitoring for assigned Core.
- Determine the appropriate risk category (low, medium, or high risk) of a potential grantee based on the risk assessment.
- Develop a monitoring plan, specifying the type of monitoring activities to be conducted for a grantee based on the results of the risk assessment process.
- Conduct monitoring activities specified in a grantee’s monitoring plan including but not limited to the daily transaction ledger reviews and invoice reviews.
- Prepare the audit/compliance reports which detail any identified observations, findings, or questioned costs, as well as the respective recommendations for corrective actions and resolution of deficiencies identified in the compliance monitoring process.
- Assist the assigned Compliance team in performing compliance monitoring for assigned Core.
- Demonstrate effective representational skills, increasing the profile of the department by participating in NED internal working groups and in grantee proposal reviews held jointly with Grants and Program staff.
- Prepare presentation and training materials for use in conducting financial management training workshops in overseas locations, when required.
- Ensure that grants are timely closed out by verifying that all the required monitoring activities have been conducted and questioned costs, if any, were resolved.
- Ensure that respective data input in the Grants Management System is pertinent at all times.
- Perform ad hoc special engagements or other duties as assigned.
- BS in Accounting or Finance;
- 2+ years of related experience;
- Experience with Microsoft Office: Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint;
- Experience with grant management databases such as GovGrants or GIFTS/Alta;
- Working knowledge of OMB’s Uniform Guidance: 2 CFR Part 200 Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards;
- Working knowledge of Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards, also known as the Yellow Book.
- Other Qualifications:
- Advanced fluency (reading, writing, and speaking) in foreign language(s) relevant to the assigned region is plus, Arabic is required;
- Ability to travel, both domestically and internationally;
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Ability to work independently;
- Strong collaboration skills and ability to work in a team environment;
- Auditing and report writing skills;
- Ability to develop rapport quickly and easily;
- Ability to present audit findings with tact and sensitivity;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Commitment to accuracy and timeliness.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, desired salary, and contact information for three professional references. Please, no phone calls. The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org or firstname.lastname@example.org.