We are looking for someone who loves to design, develop and modify applications, interested in new and interesting challenges, and a desire for an engaging experience with our thriving university community for an Application Software Developer position. Is this you?
Miami University offers an engaging work environment at a premier higher education institution with an exceptional benefits package plus many other support resources to help employees balance their professional and personal lives.
As a member of the Miami team you will be a part of our efforts to pursue the best solutions for the University.
Our diverse team members actively design, develop, modify and support application software systems by:
• Gathering, documenting, and analyzing user needs and design requirements, developing application specifications and determining system performance standards.
• Participating in diverse projects that analyze user needs and software requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints using agile techniques.
• Developing software systems including appropriate design and use of error handling, logging, and monitoring.
• Creating, executing, and automating multiple levels of test plans for software maintenance.
• Planning and executing third-party software implementations and integrations with a focus on using APIs and code reuse.
• Working with our clients to learn and understand business processes and responsibilities and suggest solutions to problems.
• Identifying roadblocks and generating ideas for improvement; using agile methods like the Scrum framework and pair programming.
• As a member of our team, you will have great opportunities to grow technically and professionally through annual training.
Require Bachelor’s degree or higher in computer science, information technology, or a related field, earned by date of hire and three or more years of relevant experience depending on qualifications.
This position is available to persons who are currently located and authorized to work in the United States on a full-time and indefinite basis. (Persons authorized to work on such a basis include US citizens, lawful permanent residents (“green card” holders), asylees, refugees, and temporary residents under IRCA.) Additionally, this position is available to persons who currently hold an H1-B Visa sponsored by IT Services, Miami University.
As an Application Software Developer III reporting to our Application Development Team Manager, we are looking for you to have knowledge and experience in several of the following areas:
• Collaborating with teams in using Agile development techniques to design solutions that maximize simplicity, stability, maintainability, and code reuse.
• Developing applications using object-oriented programming in PHP, Python, Node JS, or similar languages.
• Using source code management systems like Github and understand the concepts of Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) pipelines.
• Developing secure applications to defend against attacks such as SQL injection or cross-site scripting and using single-sign-on and authentication systems similar to LDAP, Active Directory, CAS, Shibboleth and Two-Factor services like Duo.
• Using different testing options, which could include unit, feature, stress/load, accessibility (ADA) testing and documenting test plans, cases and results to improve our quality of applications.
• Developing against Higher Ed ERP systems like Ellucian’s Banner suite, Learning Management systems like Canvas, and web portal systems or similar applications.
• Developing with databases and SQL.
• Web application deployment and server configuration management in applications such as Apache/Tomcat and Weblogic.
• Learn technology and industry trends to guide future adoptions of development methodologies and frameworks.
• Basic software application deployment in a cloud-based infrastructure such as AWS, Azure or GCP.
• Building positive relationships with internal and external constituents.
Miami is committed to a culture of health and wellness. We offer several benefits including healthcare and wellness programs with on-campus recreational and sport centers, health insurance that includes options for dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance. Tuition fee waivers for employee and family, paid sick and parental leave, paid vacation, paid holidays and state sponsored alternate and supplemental retirement plans. Plus you can be part of the University’s academic culture with direct access to hundreds of on-campus events plus the possibility to teach one credit bearing course per semester.
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223. A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free.