We’re seeking a highly self-motivated, technology-savvy teammate who thrives working in a collaborative, data-driven environment. This position will help design and build world-class, intuitive, and comprehensive taxonomies and ontologies to optimize content classification and discovery across Meredith’s portfolio of brands which include Better Homes and Gardens, Allrecipes, InStyle, and People.
Meredith Taxonomists advocate for data quality standards at Meredith. Taxonomists optimize the descriptive metadata used by our stakeholders to create great experiences and inspiration for our audience through navigation, recommendations, and on-site search. Taxonomists create and maintain the documentation that Editors use to categorize their work, inform Product decisions, and support Developers. They perform data mining of Meredith catalogs to identify the best ways to gather and categorize the content. They also troubleshoot website categorization issues, tool, and system issues.
Essential Job Functions
- Collaborate with team members, or work independently, on the research, analysis, documentation, and implementation of taxonomy changes based on data governance best practices
- Partner with editorial teams to provide training, guidance, and reporting on taxonomy usage
- Serve as a taxonomy, metadata, and ontology subject matter expert for Business Intelligence and Sales and contributes expertise to define and implement business opportunities based on metadata. Provide metadata support for Product Initiatives
- Manage and create mappings between existing controlled vocabularies
- Work with senior members of the Taxonomy Team, Product Management, and Engineering to recommend improvements to the tools and procedures used by the Taxonomy team
- Degree in Library Science, Information Systems, Linguistics or equivalent professional experience
- 1-2 years taxonomy development or working with controlled vocabularies preferred.
Specific Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A solid understanding of metadata, subject classification, and knowledge organization.
- Proven skills in data retrieval techniques such as SQL and or Boolean query construction.
- Effective problem solving and analytical skills for evaluating taxonomy data, trends and resolving issues within the taxonomy.
- Ability to balance business requests with end-user needs in the development and growth of system taxonomies.
- Clear and effective written and verbal communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Must be self-motivated to work independently as well as within a collaborative peer approach.
- Enthusiasm for food, lifestyle, and entertainment topics such as cooking, decorating, building and remodeling, crafts, entertaining, gardening, parenting, celebrity, beauty, and style is highly desired.
- Attention to detail.