At MassDOT, transportation is not about roads and bridges, or trains and buses – it is about people. Our mission begins with customers – individuals, businesses, municipalities, and regional transit agencies. We support programs and projects that deliver a high return on investment. MassDOT supports the economic, quality of life, and environmental goals of the Commonwealth.
At MassDOT, we are committed to maintaining a community which recognizes and values the inherent worth and dignity of every person. We foster tolerance, understanding, and mutual respect among our employees and encourage everyone to strive to reach their own potential.
Do you want to use your engineering skills to make a difference in the Commonwealth? MassDOT is looking for you. Civil, mechanical, and environmental engineers who have a passion for transportation are needed to fill positions across Massachusetts.
MassDOT is seeking entry-level candidates who hold a B.S. and/or M.S. degree in Civil Engineering or in an appropriate engineering discipline. The Civil Engineer I position is the entry-level professional job within the Civil Engineering series. This role is a great way to learn on the job in various transportation disciplines, such as construction, maintenance, project development, bridge, and administration/operations.
If you enjoy being outdoors on a construction site, if you like to work on various projects that require you to travel around Massachusetts, or if you enjoy an office setting, MassDOT has those opportunities. Construction projects will be located within a District with an assignment to a field office/construction site. In office based roles, you will generally report to the District Headquarters or the Boston Transportation Building on a regular basis.
There are multiple positions available and these positions may rotate throughout the District Divisions (Construction, Maintenance, Project Development, Bridge, and Administration/ Operations). The rotational program is designed to promote skills growth and professional development. The candidates selected to participate in this program will be enrolled in the 2 year Highway Core Curriculum Program. Classes in the Highway Core Curriculum program may include project management, pavement management, GIS applications, etc. as professional development opportunities.
Civil Engineer I’s perform a variety of tasks across roles, including preparing and/or reviewing plans, specifications, and cost estimates for MassDOT projects; preparing and/or reviewing reports, studies, and analytical data; performing calculations relating to engineering problems; and performing engineering surveys. Other duties may be required depending on the role and section the Civil Engineer I is assigned to.
Example duties and responsibilities of a Civil Engineer I may include:
- Performs engineering duties in such areas as highways, bridges or facilities in accordance with sound engineering principles, applicable laws, regulations, and standards.
- Writes memoranda, letters, and reports to supervisors concerning the status of engineering projects or problems.
- Performs review of consultant designs and contract documents for projects developed for advertisement through MassDOT’s Road and Bridge Program.
- Provides engineering data for the preparation and review of engineering or environmental reports and studies.
- Performs general calculations related to bridge design, survey traverses, traffic forecasting, soil capacity, groundwater flow, and quantity of materials.
- Reviews applications for licenses or permits for the transportation of materials and for the construction of privately funded improvements.
- Acts as an Assistant to the Resident Engineer or Resident Engineer to inspect roadway, intersection, and bridge improvement projects to ensure that work is being performed according to specifications.
- Participates in field investigations to gather information needed to resolve construction, maintenance, environmental or traffic problems.
- Acts as a Team Member assisting in the inspection of highway bridges.
- Tests materials used in the production of bituminous concrete pavements and cement concrete to ensure compliance with relevant standards.
- Perform site inspections of construction operations on active bridge, roadway, and maintenance related work.
- Ability to promote a harmonious work environment, respect the opinions of others, and work in a diverse team.
- Proficiency in various civil engineering software (AutoCAD, GIS, excel, etc).
- Ability to work/interact in a diverse workforce.
- Prior MassDOT internship or co-op experience.
- Strong math skills
- Excellent grasp of engineering fundamentals
MassDOT has a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, as well as a pension and 403(b) plan. It’s a great place to start your career while growing your skill sets.
Roles will be filled based on operational needs and/or candidate strengths. Please indicate areas you are interested in on your application, as well as the locations in which you are able to work. As roles become available, candidates will be contacted based on the information indicated in their application.
District 1 – Berkshire County/Western, MA
District 2 – Connecticut River Valley/Western, MA
District 3 – Worcester County/Central, MA
District 4 – North Eastern, MA
District 5 – South Eastern, MA & Cape Cod
District 6 – Metro Boston, MA
Headquarters – Downtown Boston, MA
If you have questions regarding this position, please contact Robin Burke, Human Resources, at email@example.com.
This requisition will remain open until filled; however, first consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
All applications must be submitted online, through MassCareers, to be considered.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
Applicants must have at least (A) two years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, technical or professional experience in civil engineering work in such areas as construction, survey, design, transportation, hydraulics, structural, sanitary, drafting, environmental, highway, architectural, airport, soils and materials or (B) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below.
I. An Associate’s degree with a major in civil engineering** or civil engineering technology** may be substituted for a maximum of one year of the required experience.*
II. A Bachelor’s or higher degree with a major in civil engineering** or civil engineering technology**, may be substituted for the required experience.*
**NOTE: The terms civil engineering and civil engineering technology include related engineering disciplines such as construction, survey, hydraulics, design, transportation, structural, soils, sanitary, environmental, drafting, highway, architectural, mining, airport and materials.
*Education toward such a degree will be prorated on the basis of the proportion of the requirements actually completed.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Based on assignment, possession of a current and valid Massachusetts Class D Motor Vehicle Operator’s License may be required.
FOR NON-MassDOT APPLICANTS:
Applicants for this position must possess a Bachelor’s Degree in an appropriate engineering discipline for appointment to this position.
FOR MassDOT EMPLOYEES:
Applicants for this position must possess a Bachelor’s Degree in an appropriate engineering discipline for appointment to this position, or hold a position in the Department in the next lower title than the position applied for, in the same or similar career ladder.
All job applications must be submitted online through MassCareers to be considered.
For a disability‐related reasonable accommodation or alternative application method, call ADA Coordinator, Rita Dinunzio – (857) 368‐8738.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.