The Learning Policy Institute (LPI) seeks an experienced Manager of Virtual Events to join its team of research, policy, communication, and operations staff in advancing the organization’s mission to foster education equitable for all children. This position may be based in either our Palo Alto, CA, or Washington D.C. office and will be expected to work in person once it is safe to do so (LPI staff currently work remotely).
Reporting to the Director of Strategic Communications, and working closely with research and policy content experts, the Manager of Virtual Events will plan, produce, and execute virtual events for national audiences. These events aid LPI’s work to bring research, policies, and practices to education researchers, policymakers, and education policy influencers at the local, state, and federal levels. The ideal candidate will have technical skills to produce events through a range of online meeting platforms as well as extensive experience leading planning for virtual events. They will be highly organized, adept at working in a fast-paced environment, have excellent communication and listening skills, and enjoy working in a highly collaborative environment.
The Manager of Virtual Events will oversee the production and logistics of all LPI virtual events, such as webinars and online conferences. When LPI begins hosting live events again (e.g., Hill briefings, research panels, policy convenings, and press briefings), the Manager of Virtual Events may also support these as bandwidth allows. The Manager of Virtual Events will also oversee the administrative operations of events, including vendor management and budget.
Working with the Communications team as well as across teams with LPI research and policy experts who serve as content producers, the Manager of Virtual Events works to ensure events run smoothly from conception to post-production. This position will be responsible for logistics, technical support, and administration, working closely with the research and policy content producers to lead on the logistical side of event planning and production as well as providing technical expertise to determine and operate appropriate virtual meeting platforms. This position requires the ability to operate with high standards and adherence to deadlines. LPI events include webinars featuring guest speakers and panels and more complex convenings that can combine plenary sessions and breakout sessions and use interactive tools.
- Plan, produce, and manage a steady stream of virtual events and panels.
- Serve as the technical expert in determining appropriate event platforms and serve as key operator of events when they happen.
- Negotiate contracts and manage platforms for virtual events and manage relationships with vendors and event partners.
- Maintain event budgets and purchase materials and equipment to execute events, as needed.
- Ensure high-quality event experiences for speakers and attendees by scheduling planning meetings, doing tech preparation with speakers, and managing the run-of-show in close coordination with content lead.
- Work with content leads to coordinate logistics, communication, and web content.
- Support the LPI team and partners in designing event themes, structure, and format.
- Oversee development and management of content in preparation for events (e.g., invitations, registrations, slide decks, agenda, and speaker bios) and produced from events (e.g., recordings, notes).
- Serve as point person on the day of events to coordinate and support all internal and external participants.
- Coordinate with members of our research and policy teams to build and maintain an events calendar aligned with the release of reports and briefs throughout the year.
- Facilitate post-event debriefs to discuss feedback and brainstorm ideas for improvement.
- Create new documentation and maintain/improve existing documentation, systems, and processes for event planning to ensure efficiency and continuous improvement.
- Maintain CRM database with attendee information and deliver post-event reports.
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate will possess many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences:
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in a virtual events management role and/or related technical role, preferably in the nonprofit sector, leading event development and production.
- Deep knowledge and experience working with a variety of online event platforms, e.g., Zoom, WebEx, GoToMeeting, and awareness of current trends and best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute complex events.
- Detail-oriented and highly organized with exceptional time-management skills.
- Adept at planning, prioritizing, and working calmly under pressure.
- Excellent verbal, written communications skills.
- Excellent technical skills.
- Experience using CRM systems.
- High regard for quality assurance.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. for any employer.
- Flexible and able to make mid-flight changes.
- Innovative and focused on solutions and problem-solving.
- Highly collaborative, with demonstrated success working across teams.
- Passion for equity and the right of all children to have the opportunity to learn, especially historically underserved students.
- Self-starter mentality and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- A demonstrated commitment to excellence.
- Ability to execute and exhibit good judgment.
- An optimistic outlook and a flexible, innovative nature.