If you have a passion for creating safe environments and want to be hands-on when it comes to the preparation of drawings and learning to prepare fire sprinkler system designs, then Aero Automatic’s Design Engineer position is the right fit for you! The Designer Trainee is responsible for generating and managing detailed fire protection system layouts and designs, shop drawings, calculations and product submittal documents from Sales/Estimating through Construction complying with NFPA standards, building codes, and safety regulations. The Designer Trainee will be trained to become proficient in each of the following responsibilities.
Our mission is to make a difference and we offer opportunities for you to make one too through our construction operations. Whether we’re boring tunnels through mountains, turning rivers into energy or building bridges that connect communities, we depend on our passionate, skilled, and safety-obsessed construction professionals to get it done right. You bring your big ideas, commitment to top quality, and an unwavering work ethic. In return, we offer huge career and travel opportunities and the satisfaction of building the next big thing from the ground up. There’s a reason Kiewit attracts the best: we offer fast-paced excitement and fulfillment you won’t find anywhere else.
Aero Automatic Sprinkler Company, a subsidiary of Kiewit, is one of the largest fire sprinkler contractors in the Southwest. Founded in 1985 out of Phoenix, AZ, Aero Automatic Sprinkler Co. offers a variety of services including design, 3-D modeling, fabrication, installation and more. We are committed to all aspects of the fire protection business. From service calls to full installations, no job is too small or too big for Aero.
Aero Automatic Sprinkler Company’s main office is located in Phoenix as well as a branch in the southern California area to meet the needs of our California clients. While our primary focus of work includes Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Texas and Nevada, we are capable of traveling with our customers to projects across the country.
• Design automatic fire sprinkler systems (wet, dry, foam, and fire pumps).
• Compile and prepare plan submittals (shop drawings) and material submittals for review by architects, engineers, clients, and authorities having jurisdiction.
• Coordinate sprinkler design with existing structure and other MEP subcontractors.
• Communicate with Sales, Estimating and other departments to optimize design efficiency for fabrication and installation of systems.
• Perform hydraulic calculations for fire sprinkler systems.
• Detail the design for fabrication and prepare installation drawings.
• Prepare “as-built” drawings for in-house archive and client files.
• Other job duties as assigned
• Currently pursuing or a recent graduate in a Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Construction Engineering or Management, or an equivalent combination of education and related work experience
• Knowledge of principles and familiarity with computer-aided drafting is preferred
• Familiarity with use of building codes is preferred
• Ability to travel and relocate as the business requires (25%-50%)
• Able to read engineer/design, architectural, and structural blueprints.
• Fundamental understanding of general construction methods, practices, and terminology.
• High level of self-discipline, motivation, and ability to operate in a team environment.
• Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in a wide-ranging climates and environments
• Highly motivated, with a demonstrated passion for excellence and taking initiative
• Strong work ethic, willing to do what it takes to get the job done right the first time
• Demonstrated commitment to ethics and integrity
• Passion for safety, with the ability to help us ensure that nobody gets hurt
• Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
• Team player with the ability to work independently to meet deadlines, goals and objectives
• Strong organization, time management, and attention to detail