We are an innovative and collaborative team of designers that prepare submittal and field installation drawings, installation details, calculations, and submittal data for fire alarm and detection systems based on the requirements set by NFPA code standards, the International Building and Fire Codes, and the Local Authority or fire marshal. The position is entry level and will require weeks of hands on training provided by the company. The training will involve directed classroom training, directed field training, and a significant amount of self-directed training and research.
The entry level designer will be expected to learn how to read construction drawings, prepare fire alarm and detection installation drawings and battery calculations, prepare material stocklists, visit the construction jobsites to review actual field conditions, and troubleshoot installation conflicts in the field.
This position, being a part of the construction industry, is extremely schedule and deadline driven. The key attributes needed for this position are Drive, Adaptability, and Effective Intelligence (learning a principle and applying it to unique situations). The most successful candidates will exhibit the qualities of humility, integrity, and team-ability.
We are looking for resilient candidates that can learn new things quickly, have a curious mind and are not afraid to ask questions, able to adapt to changes, meet deadlines, and be humble enough to learn from mistakes.
We are a full-service fire suppression company that designs, installs, services, and inspects fire protection and fire alarm and detection systems with the highest commitment to customer safety and satisfaction. Continental Fire Sprinkler has the expertise and resources to handle every aspect of fire alarm and detection for any size project. Our professionals are among the most qualified and capable in the industry, allowing us to offer a full spectrum of services. With talented people and extensive resources, Continental Fire Sprinkler Company has completed a wide range of projects within 46 different states throughout the nation since 1971. Our headquarters are in Omaha, NE, with area offices in Davenport, IA; Des Moines, IA; and Hanover, MD. We are extremely proud to be a part of the life safety industry, saving lives and property by designing, installing, and servicing fire protection systems.
We pride ourselves on developing internal talented people into the managers and leaders of the future. Our success is evidenced by the number of successful, long-term Continental employees currently on our staff. We commit extensive resources to training and developing our people through formal programs and hands-on experience. Our experienced personnel, use of innovative technology, and genuine dedication to customer service has established us as a trusted source for fire protection services.
This position is based out of Omaha, NE
· Design fire alarm and detection systems
· Detailing of shop drawings (field installation drawings and battery calculations), field engineering (on the jobsite support and review), and operation planning (field installation support)
· Compile and prepare plan submittals (shop drawings) and material submittals for review by architects, engineers, clients, and authorities having jurisdiction
· Coordinate fire alarm and detection design with the building structure and other MEP subcontractors
· Prepare project material stocklists to be used for material procurement
· Oversee project scheduling, quantity tracking, material fabrication and procurement
· Contract administration and communication with the general contractor and authority having jurisdiction
· Prepare “as-built” drawings for in-house archive and client files
· NFPA Codes, Building Code, and Fire Code research
· Currently pursuing or a recent graduate in an Electrical Engineering, Engineering, Electrical Engineering Technology, Construction Management, or related degree preferred (Associates degree also considered), or 1-2 years fire alarm design experience, or 2+ years direct construction related experience
· Experience and familiarity with MS Excel and Word
· Strong experience in AutoCAD preferred
· Ability to travel to construction jobsites and other office locations as the business requires (25%-50%), exposed to wide-ranging climates and environments
· Able to learn how to read construction, engineering, architectural, and structural plans
· High level of self-discipline and ability to operate in a team environment
· Highly motivated with a passion for excellence and taking initiative
· Strong work ethic, willing to do what it takes to get the job done right the first time
· A passion for safety and ensuring that nobody gets hurt
· Having humility to learn from mistakes and not make the same mistakes twice
· Able to move between working with a team to working independently to meet deadlines, goals and objectives
· Organized, time and deadline conscious, and attention to detail