We are an innovative team of engineers and designers that supports projects throughout the company. Our staff leads collaborate with Kiewit’s module fabrication and construction teams to approach construction-driven engineering with a focus on safe, cost effective, and innovative designs that achieve client expectations and further Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service consulting and engineering firm serving the infrastructure and engineering markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing Power district, which includes structural, civil, piping, mechanical, process, process safety, electrical, instrument and control disciplines, is a multi-faceted division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on the EPC delivery model for power facilities. We offer a variety of engineering services, including owner’s engineering, project development, detailed engineering and design, construction management and plant services. Our engineering teams bring power projects to life across North America in the following areas:
- Gas-fired generation
- Power delivery
- Environmental retrofits
- Renewables and new technology
This position is based out of our Lenexa, KS office.
- Reports project progression updates and/or issues to Lead Electrical Designers required.
- Utilize applicable engineering national and local codes.
- Develops 3D models utilizing drawings, sketches, and design skills. Checks and navigates in the 3D models for interferences and constructability.
- Creates plan drawings and details for electrical deliverables.
- Develops sketches to accompany other concept documentation.
- Develop schematics and one-line drawings from engineering sketches or markups.
- Maintain master drawing set with current revisions for the electrical and controls design drawings.
- File master sets/originals, superseded drawings and originals as required in a timely manner.
- Complete as-built by utilizing Request for Information (RFI) forms, Engineering Change Notices (ECNs) and red-marked drawings from construction to develop “Conformed to Construction Records” as required.
- Participates in project meetings as required.
- Checks design for consistency, safety, operability and maintenance requirements before submitting to checking.
- Resolves checked drawings; prove and understand comments made.
- Routes electrical cables to generate a cable schedule.
- Model electrical components using vendor submittals and electrical designs.
- Completes miscellaneous tasks to support project development.
- Associates, Vocational or Bachelor’s degree in Design& Drafting technology, Engineering Technology or Design or a related degree.
- 0-3 years of power plant design experience or related field experience preferred but not required.
- Experience utilizing 3D programs such as MicroStation, AutoCAD, Revit, AutoCAD MEP, or Navisworks and have knowledge of the latest computer operating systems.
- Must be able to conceptualize in a 3D environment.
- Must be able to communicate through emails and utilize electronic meeting requests.
- Must have a working knowledge of spreadsheets, databases and PDF software.
- Must be able to represent Kiewit manner to owners, contractors, vendors and any other contacts outside the Kiewit organization.